Tuesday, May 20, 2008

That's what she...sang


So I finally had to tell Harper she was forbidden from telling Hudson 'no' ever again. And what do you think that eager little mind has done to evade the prohibition? Sing, of course. This morning it was to the tune of "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes": NO...no-no-no-no-no...nonoNO! came wafting from the backseat on the way home from the park. Then when we got home, it was "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"-- no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-nonononoNO...NO,nonononononononononononoNOOOOOO..NO!"
I should have loosed the fateful lightning of my terrible swift sword, but I was too busy laughing my head off in the other room.

To add to the air of musical comedy/disobedience around here, we were out for a walk yesterday and Hudson got a little ahead. He turned around to see if I noticed his daring-do. I asked him to come back and he smiled and broke into this little soft shoe dance. Perhaps he was trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored. Again, the cute factor precluded any sort of meaningful discipline.

6 comments:

Shane said...

i guess you just be blessed that this was not done in the beuaty of the lilies.

Jamie said...

i'm sure it's really hard to to award creativity points in situations like that :) does the battle hymn get a lot of airplay around your house?

Patti said...

We have it on a Cedarmont Kids dvd that has lots of patriotic songs. Yesterday at the park an ice cream truck drove by and Harper said, "I hear 'Home on the Range!'" She was right. So, clearly she'll be composing her first minuet any day now.

Jamie said...

oops--i meant to say "not to award..."

do you recommend the cedarmont kids dvd? Asher isn't into TV with the notable exception of the Stanley Steemer commercial and a commercial for english muffins. I think he would love to watch kids sing and dance though and I would love to have some free "babysitting." ;)

Patti said...

I think I do recommend them Jamie, though, as I might have mentioned to you at some point, the cheese factor is pretty high. There are some denim jumpers and the kids seem to enjoy the period dress a little too much at times. Hudson will stand and stare at it for a couple of songs before he moves on to something more important like dropping Matchbox cars in the trashcan on top of the wet coffee grounds.
I can let you borrow one so you can decide your tolerance level before you invest. We have "Yankee Doodle," "The Wheels on the Bus," and "Farmer in the Dell."

Jamie said...

Wow--those are the title options? And you still seem like a relatively sane person? ;)

I would love to borrow one to test-view. We should get together (at a place that has the AC going) soon!