I got some money from my parents on Mother's Day and decided to go to Anthropologie. There's lots to love at Anthropologie but I didn't buy anything and here is why: it's ridiculously expensive and even when I have "free" money, as it were, I just can't stomach $58 for a t-shirt, AND I am just done with the whole smocky, flowy, babydoll trend that has insisted on lingering for at least three or four years now. It's fun wearing maternity clothes when you are pregnant. People smile at you because you are a Bearer of Life and all that. And I was actually pretty grateful for the trend those first couple of months after the babies came. But enough already.
I thought it was interesting, anthropologically speaking, that there was a girl trying on clothes in the dressing room next to me and she had brought along a little dog and he was sitting in his very own stroller. It looked more expensive than the stroller I use to transport my actual human children. I also noticed in the pet aisle at Target the other day that I can buy an Isaac Mizrahi seersucker doggie dress. We love dogs around here, even though we don't own one yet, but I'm going to be dogmatic about a few things.
1. Dogs shouldn't ride in strollers
2. Dogs shouldn't wear clothes
3. Dogs shouldn't be in weddings/mentioned in wedding announcements, i.e. John and Eleanor will be residing in Bellaire with their two beloved dogs, Carnegie and Mellon.
One other thing that happened at Anthropologie is that the dressing room attendant asked my name so she could write it on the little chalkboard outside the door. I must have swallowed the second syllable because she wrote "PAT" and then asked four different times if "PAT" needed anything. I have never been PAT. Patti has never even felt like a very appropriate name but it is infinitely better than PAT. Margie wrote a few blogs back about introducing herself and her husband (who is Wayne) and saying, "We have old people names." I was thinking about that while I was at my parents' house and realized that my mom (Bonnie) has friends who, like her are in their 60's, who are named Tootsie, Cookie, and Sparkle.
So I didn't buy any clothes but on the way home I stopped at Paciugo and got some gelato. There was a tiny old lady in front of me and when she got her ice cream I said, "Oh, that looks really good--what flavor is it?" and she replied, "I'd give you a bite but I am 89 years old and I have to be very hygienic and I just don't know what germs you have!" She pronounced it hyGENIEic.
One last thing. I think I've mentioned Harper's speech impediments. Two words have proven especially hilarious in the past couple of weeks. She can't make an 'l' or 'r' sound and uses 'w' instead. "All cweatuwes of our God and King... Ah way woo jah! Ah way woo juh! Ah way woooooo jah." And we got this trail mix from Whole Foods that's called Hullaballoo Mix. "Mommy may I please have some Huhwuhbuhwoo?" It's too bad I didn't go to A&M because I hear the fight song has a similar word in it. Oh, wait. I did go to A&M. How does that song go again?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
I laughed out loud at least twice...how am I supposed to compete with this. And no, it is not a competition.
I'm with you on Anthropologie. I LOVE their clothes and house stuff, but even their sale rack is beyond my budget. Marking a skirt down from $168 to $88 is not a sale.
I ABSOLUTELY AND DEFINITIVELY DISAGREE with the DOGS IN WEDDINGS belief. How UnPROGRESSIVE. I am completely opposed to such things and will demand upon proper attention being given to actual circumstances, that my daughter's dog and/or my son's dog BE in the wedding of said children. I will take no remedial arguments on the matter. PERIOD. Joshua, had he not been dead, would have been a welcome companion at our own wedding, however small.
There you have it. Hudson's best man will be four-legged and will have the ring tied to his collar. At least I think that's what all of that legalese-ish emphatic-ness was trying to say.
He should not be required to wear a tuxedo, brushed perhaps, but I like the ring on the collar IDEA. Now you are thinking. In fact, clothes for dogs should be subordinated from fashion to function so that the only dogs wearing clothes are those in extreme weather conditions. Otherwise, I believe the dog is being misused.
you are hysterically funny. i read this aloud to mike and we both laughed and laughed.
totally agree about anthropologie. last weekend someone asked me if the shirt i was wearing was from that store and i laughed aloud b/c i don't even go in there.
besides, i don't want to be "chr".
i'm tickled that the old lady thought you wanted a bite of her gelato.
love your blog.
chrys
I also agree with you on Antropologie. The only thing I have ever bought there are some dish towels. They are so cool and didn't cost THAT much.
Like the others, I laughed out loud several times while reading this. One, I still love the babydoll/maternity-look-a-like tops, mostly because I can wear my old jeans without concern of an exposed muffin top. Also, like you, I love going in Anthropologie, but much in the same way that I love going into a museum. I love it. I want it. But, I can't have it. So I'm resolved to admire it from the sidelines. Burke also has this same impediment, which I agree is both hilarious and sweet. I've wondered though, at what age is it no longer cute? In other words, at what point do we consider consulting a speech pathologist? Do you happen to know?
I've always loved the name Bonnie, by the way. So tell your mom I love her name, won't you PAT?
Don't make me call you Marge, Margie.
Bethany--I too have a muffin top but realized that the swishy top I was considering (it was on sale, for $29.99) seemed to emphasize rather than camouflage. Plus, I had realized that every other (Target)summer top I already have could conceivably (bad pun) be worn if I was 8 months pregnant, so I just wanted something that didn't make people wonder, "Is she or isn't she?" I'm really not sure when the speech stuff becomes worthy of speech pathology--I'm thinking 4? But maybe that's too late, though.
Post a Comment