Thursday, March 6, 2008

my kid could draw that, part 2

I thought this face had an interesting Picasso-esque (earlier I had Van Gogh--I meant Picasso. My husband reminded me) symmetry. We are still sickly around here. It seems like we've had fevers and stuffy noses and coughing to the point of asphyxiation for around a month now. We ventured out rather tentatively this morning to the Museum of Fine Arts because it's free on Thursdays. We've only been a couple of times and the last time there was an exhibition of dog paintings that Harper enjoyed as much as a toddler can enjoy something that she can't touch or jump on. She remembered the dogs and was rather dismayed to find them absent today. She was pretty cranky and not really in the mood to answer my questions. My favorite reply was, "She's wearing a red tam-o-shanter," when I asked what she noticed about this Van Dongen painting:

Thank you Beatrix Potter. We ended with the modern art because it seemed to make Harper even crankier. "It doesn't look like ANYTHING!" she said, rather petulantly when I asked what she saw in the Rothko.
My computer is so slow that I am reading The Great Gatsby while I write this. Every few minutes there is a lull of inactivity accompanied by a whirring sound.
There's a fascinating discussion about the quiverfull movement going on over at Amy's Humble Musings if you are interested. There was a link to a sermon by a Seattle pastor named Mark Driscoll. He is smart but pretty abrasive. I woke up in the middle of the night last night and was thinking about the black robe that the pastor at the church we went to wears when he teaches and the faded t-shirt that the pastor at the church where we've been going lately wears when he teaches. I think there's something profound to say about it, but I am not sure what it is yet. I'm pretty sure it's emblematic. Relevance.
I want to write a short story about a person who goes to the gift shop to buy postcards and maybe a t-shirt and then leaves without actually going into the museum. Relics without experience, get it?

4 comments:

Robin said...

I have been keeping up with the conversation on the quiverfull movement on Amy's blog. I'm actually suprised at how nice people have been in their comments. Usually people start leaving snide remarks about subjects like that.

Patti said...

I agree Robin. I think it's rather astonishing, actually. All of these ladies (mostly) are managing to do what Driscoll couldn't: have a really difficult discussion without resorting to ad hominem attacks and extremes.

Robin said...

I tend to get annoyed with discussions on hot topics like this because people usually don't think things through most of the time, so I don't even bother with the comments. This particular discussion didn't bother me, and I actually read most of the comments.

I can't decide what I think about Driscoll. I have not read any of his books, but I've listed to several of his sermons (including the one on birth control - although I was working at the same time, so it did not have my full attention) and read his blog occasionaly. I appreciate some aspects of what he says and does but some things just don't sit right with me.

Chrys and Mike said...

You're a great writer. I enjoyed the museum story!

Chrys