Hm, you're likely saying to yourself, Patti usually gives these little anecdotes because she wants to Present Some Sort of Important Idea. The mystery is gone, I've been made. Here's the rub. We were visiting my mother-in-law a few weeks ago and, over Scrabble, she tells us that her church, a big one in Dallas, had, at the end of the year, found itself with $100,000 beyond its normal budget. That's great! said the husband and I, more money for the widows and orphans. Let's see, double word score on 'helix'. She furrows her brow and says, "Well, but we already have a large part of our budget for that." And we, incredulous, said something like, "And it was enough to feed ALL of the widows and orphans in the entire WORLD? What will true religion DO now that the job is done??" So it turns out that they used the $100,000 extra to buy a new air conditioner and add on to the children's wing. And of course we aren't so unreasonable to suggest that sweating children packed in tight is a good idea in Texas. But maybe you see our point, even if we need to be much more gracious in our presentation. I don't want to find fault when I gaze at the Church. I really, really don't. I want us to be all shiny. Maybe from sweat because the air conditioner doesn't work as well as it should, I don't know. But here's how the tables turn on me. The church we've been going to for a few months now is clearly not about the building. And even in January it tends to get kind of sweaty because they likely have never spent any money on air conditioning. And there hasn't been a Sunday yet that we haven't been reminded of people who lack and what this church is doing right now, with most of its resources (which aren't much) to do something to aid the suffering and thirsty literally outside the door AND on other continents. And yet. It is a struggle for me to worship there because the music is so loud. That's right. It is so loud that I really needed an expletive in front of loud so that you'll see how loud it is. We want Harper and Hudson to worship with us but I literally fear for their auditory health. Yesterday I took Hudson and walked all around, trying to find a place that might muffle things. I ended up outside. Which defeats the purpose of corporate worship. When I told Harper we were going to church she said, "Will you hold me and cover my ears?" And this kid really loves music. So I'm trying to decide if this is my brown shirt. I was actually trying to think of a legitimate reason why the music might NEED to be loud and then your brain sort of gets into this quagmire of What Is Worship Anyway? and clearly God doesn't need the amplification because he can hear us just fine even when we aren't speaking. So is it deafening to be (my pet word lately) Relevant? So that the Kids will think it's cool and forget it's church? I think this is the kind of stuff that nudges people towards the Catholic and Orthodox churches. It's like going to a franchise. You go into the Subway restaurant in Port Neches or Houston or even Vienna and you know what you're going to get. There's someone making sure the employees are putting the bread in the little oven each morning and not deciding that, you know, I don't really FEEL like baking up the Subway bread today, how about I hop across the street to the Stop-n-Go and pick up a couple of loaves of Wonder Bread. And there are Protestant churches who are pretty smug about this as well. People clump together and label themselves because it really is efficient. I ran into an old high school acquaintance at a wedding a few months back who gave an audible sigh of relief when I told him the Presbyterian church we were going to then was a PCA church. It's like there are suddenly lots of conversations that don't need to happen because we can just pat ourselves on the back and Agree on The Creeds and be thankful that we have won the Election, as it were. But what if that IS right to ensure that the theology doesn't wobble off somewhere dangerous and suddenly it isn't just about music preferences but it really is essential to the integrity of the gospel? What if there really IS poo-poo on the shirt? Gee whiz, kids. Is anyone even still reading this??
Monday, March 17, 2008
Have it your way
Hm, you're likely saying to yourself, Patti usually gives these little anecdotes because she wants to Present Some Sort of Important Idea. The mystery is gone, I've been made. Here's the rub. We were visiting my mother-in-law a few weeks ago and, over Scrabble, she tells us that her church, a big one in Dallas, had, at the end of the year, found itself with $100,000 beyond its normal budget. That's great! said the husband and I, more money for the widows and orphans. Let's see, double word score on 'helix'. She furrows her brow and says, "Well, but we already have a large part of our budget for that." And we, incredulous, said something like, "And it was enough to feed ALL of the widows and orphans in the entire WORLD? What will true religion DO now that the job is done??" So it turns out that they used the $100,000 extra to buy a new air conditioner and add on to the children's wing. And of course we aren't so unreasonable to suggest that sweating children packed in tight is a good idea in Texas. But maybe you see our point, even if we need to be much more gracious in our presentation. I don't want to find fault when I gaze at the Church. I really, really don't. I want us to be all shiny. Maybe from sweat because the air conditioner doesn't work as well as it should, I don't know. But here's how the tables turn on me. The church we've been going to for a few months now is clearly not about the building. And even in January it tends to get kind of sweaty because they likely have never spent any money on air conditioning. And there hasn't been a Sunday yet that we haven't been reminded of people who lack and what this church is doing right now, with most of its resources (which aren't much) to do something to aid the suffering and thirsty literally outside the door AND on other continents. And yet. It is a struggle for me to worship there because the music is so loud. That's right. It is so loud that I really needed an expletive in front of loud so that you'll see how loud it is. We want Harper and Hudson to worship with us but I literally fear for their auditory health. Yesterday I took Hudson and walked all around, trying to find a place that might muffle things. I ended up outside. Which defeats the purpose of corporate worship. When I told Harper we were going to church she said, "Will you hold me and cover my ears?" And this kid really loves music. So I'm trying to decide if this is my brown shirt. I was actually trying to think of a legitimate reason why the music might NEED to be loud and then your brain sort of gets into this quagmire of What Is Worship Anyway? and clearly God doesn't need the amplification because he can hear us just fine even when we aren't speaking. So is it deafening to be (my pet word lately) Relevant? So that the Kids will think it's cool and forget it's church? I think this is the kind of stuff that nudges people towards the Catholic and Orthodox churches. It's like going to a franchise. You go into the Subway restaurant in Port Neches or Houston or even Vienna and you know what you're going to get. There's someone making sure the employees are putting the bread in the little oven each morning and not deciding that, you know, I don't really FEEL like baking up the Subway bread today, how about I hop across the street to the Stop-n-Go and pick up a couple of loaves of Wonder Bread. And there are Protestant churches who are pretty smug about this as well. People clump together and label themselves because it really is efficient. I ran into an old high school acquaintance at a wedding a few months back who gave an audible sigh of relief when I told him the Presbyterian church we were going to then was a PCA church. It's like there are suddenly lots of conversations that don't need to happen because we can just pat ourselves on the back and Agree on The Creeds and be thankful that we have won the Election, as it were. But what if that IS right to ensure that the theology doesn't wobble off somewhere dangerous and suddenly it isn't just about music preferences but it really is essential to the integrity of the gospel? What if there really IS poo-poo on the shirt? Gee whiz, kids. Is anyone even still reading this??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Totally tracking. There's poopoo in the amps.
i made it all the way through, but forgot why your daughter was wearing poo to church
Patti, you have a lot of ideas and remarkably tie them together. I'm thinking of writing a letter to a guest columnist who questioned the need for corporate worship, likening pastors' failure to support worship-by-internet to the Catholic Church's opposition to the Bible in English. Not what you're addressing, but it's another reason not to be involved, in spite of what good (if over-amplified) may be offered in church.
You keep me entertained! I love reading your blog!
I like reading your posts, too. It's entertaining to see how you transition from your story to whatever deep and meaningful thought you happen to write about.
I will not be in Houston next month, and I don't know when the next trip will be. Hopefully some day we will actually meet each other and have another book club bash.
Post a Comment