Tuesday, March 25, 2008

If I had a pony, I'd ride him in my bathtub

I was in the bathroom folding some clothes and I heard Harper in the kitchen saying, "Duh, duh, DADDY! Duh, duh DUCK!" I came in to check and she had made a 'D' out of her Ezekiel bread crust and was thinking of all of the words she knew that began with 'D'. It's not quite as impressive as the 17 month old who can read, (I still don't know how to do that thing that would link to an article about her--if you're that interested, look it up) but a good start perhaps. She's actually not that into books at this point. It's not as though she doesn't like reading together, she just rarely suggests it when she's choosing an activity. Probably because it requires sitting fairly still and that just isn't her natural inclination. We still read, mind you, just not as much as we ought to be probably.

Last night while she was taking her bath she said, "I'm going to get in my bathtub and ride down the highway to go see Grandmother Pate. And the ponies." My parents, regrettably, do not own any ponies, so I'm not sure which ponies she was referring to. Maybe the one she got to ride at the rodeo. Which did, she noted at the time, require driving in the general direction that we drive when we go visit my parents. Yesterday while she was sort of playing with Hudson, she said, almost under her breath, "I don't think I WILL share my cars with Hudson. (she cut her eyes in my direction to see if I had heard this bold statement) I'm not FEELING very generous." I waited to see if her actions would give credence to her disinclination and, sadly, they did.

Hudson is walking, albeit very cautiously. He waits until he's perfectly balanced then takes these small, deliberate steps towards a reasonable, and usually padded, goal. The ottoman is a favorite destination. Harper, who started walking when she was 10 months, would fling herself recklessly in the direction she wanted to go and, on an hourly basis, would collide dramatically with something rough or sharp-cornered.

That's it. You can make your own spiritual analogies today.

8 comments:

Mia said...

Ok...so a little random that I am leaving you a message after so long, but I frequently check up on Chris and Stac. and that is how I found you. Great post on the worship. You are funny!

If worship is too much we love our church. I do not know if you are familiar with Voddie Baucham but we LOVE it. Just an offer if you ever wanted to visit. WE should go to the zoo sometime. WE have not gone since last year. Have agreat night. Mitzi

Jamie said...

Wow--Ezekiel bread! You must really love your kids. Poor Asher gets HEB brand. I buy him organic milk and yogurt, but that it about the extent of my healthiness.

And I think that Asher is ascribing to the Hudson school of walking more so than the Harper. He's yet to actually venture away from the furniture on his own, but I don't think I have a big risk-taker on my hands. This little karate star that I am currently carrying may be a different story, however.

Patti said...

Hi Mitzi! I am familiar with Voddie Baucham. I didn't realize he pastored a church in the Houston area. I wonder how far a drive it would be. That would be another one of my desires for a Community--that it actually BE in our community. There's something that bugs me about driving by 57 other churches to get to church..but that's another blog for another day. We'd love to go to the zoo--do you have my email?

Jamie--she only gets one piece of Ezekiel bread a day, so a loaf lasts a long time. It does pain me to pay so much for BREAD. I need to write a post about feeding my two little vegans, but I'm waiting until I have something instructive to say. It's a steep learning curve, and I'm usually just treading water,honestly (sorry for the mixed metaphor).
It will AMAZE you that two children from the same gene pool could be so dramatically different.

Kristin said...

Hey Patti! This is Kristin Foster Howell from A&M days. I've been enjoying your blog for several months now. I've wanted to comment before, but I was too lazy to get a google account so I could reply. It took all of one minute! I got connected through Chris & Stac's blog. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog. You write with such intelligence, humor & amazing vocabulary! I tend to use phrasing like "I was freaked out". Not so elloquent! In fact, is "elloquent" even spelled correctly? Your children are beautiful and I guess I need your email address so this doesn't turn into a lengthy comment. I finally decided to get in touch when you talked about Ezekiel bread. We're not vegans, but I've started to grind my own wheat and make my own bread. I have an Ezekiel recipe, but I haven't done it yet. It's so much easier than it sounds and it's fun! Let me know how I can email you. You make me smile, when I read your blog. I live for the next one!

Patti said...

Well hello Kristin!! Thanks for the nice feedback. I thought about you and Terry not long ago because I was telling someone (who had made a rather disparaging comment about Amarillo) that it actually must be a great place to live because I had known this group of guys in college who were all from Amarillo and who just couldn't WAIT to get back there.
Grinding wheat AND making your own bread? That's just impressive. We do need to email so you can school me in the art. I'll get yours from Stacie.

Steven Manuel said...

"make your own spiritual analogy"- my line! I don't say that selfishly- I want you to use it-I say it out of old-friend pride.

Patti said...

I do not mean to steal, Steven. You are in good company, however. I'm about to write a new post about it.

Shane said...

kristin howell in the house - woohoo! i have not read blogs in a few weeks and am catching up now - never heard of ezekiel bread - maybe you or kristin can make and send me and steven some in cincinnati