Harper says "otay" like the kid on "The Little Rascals." She actually has several speech impediments and they are all pretty entertaining. Her current favorite emotion to identify is 'frustrated'. Only her 'r' is 'w' so it sounds like this: "Mommy, are you fwustuhwated?" Of course the question itself is enough to make whatever I am frustrated about seem pretty minor. It's convicting having an audience all day long. Especially now that she is getting so much more perceptive. If she senses a change in my tone, she'll ask, "Are you sad, Mommy?" Something else that she's been doing lately. If I am in another room and she does something she thinks might get her in trouble, she'll call out, "It's otay, Mommy!" which, it turns out, means that it probably is NOT okay. I heard a bang and called out, "What happened?" She came running in, brow furrowed, "Don't say 'what happened'. It's otay." It's like Adam trying to explain the fig leaves.
We're having some great weather. On Saturday while Jodey stayed home with the napping, I walked to Buffalo Grill to get a pancake. I think it's around 4 miles round trip. I sat and ate my pancake (they are HUGE, hence the singular) and scrambled egg, read a couple of chapters of The Chosen, then walked back home. It's a recipe for goodness: a brisk walk, a gigantic pancake, a little Hasidic history embedded in a great story. If only spring didn't inevitably lead to summer.
I do not like putting away outgrown baby clothes. It makes me melancholy. I looked at Harper yesterday and she is such a little girl now. There is nothing of baby left about her. Now that she is so independent I no longer know every inch of her as I did. I'll notice a new bruise on her shin and have no idea when it happened or how. Hm. If only spring didn't inevitably lead to summer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Does it make sense that mentioning the Little Rascals caused me to assume you ate a Buckwheat pancake on your outing?
I've tried the whole wheat but I always come back to the plain. I just don't think whole wheat can make a pancake healthy. And that's otay.
Patti, I like this post. I've read it several times and like the flow of stories and thoughts. And I, too, love Buffalo Grill (and used to live quite close on a street off Wesleyan, the name of which I've sadly forgotten), and quite enjoyed The Chosen. Most of all, I enjoyed your sentence, "If only spring didn't inevitably lead to summer." I can't get it out of my mind. I might, if it's okay with you, use it in a post I've been mulling over but will, I promise, give you credit.
Thanks Margie. If I live to be 80, I'm officially in my Indian Summer. How's that for melancholy, huh? Feel free to use the quote. It probably isn't even mine--nothing new under the sun and all of that.
Post a Comment