Wednesday, February 20, 2008

In Somnia

They look like Hobbit feet, don't they? I've been writing a poem. An homage to "Kubla Khan":

In Somnia lived Hudson John

That's it. Just the one line so far. The subtitle Mr. Coleridge chose reads, "or, A Vision in a Dream. A Fragment." I woke up the day of Hudson's birthday and said, "Hm. I have not had a full night's sleep in 365 days. How about that?" And actually, if you take into account the last 6 weeks of pregnancy when sleep was fitful because my internal organs were being compressed into a space of approximately one cubic inch, it's been over 400 days. A fragment of fragmented sleep. However, after a few days in Dallas visiting friends and family, during which the boy slept about 30 minutes total, I now have perspective which allows me to be thankful for the sleeping he does do at home. He was so relieved to get back into his dark, quiet little closet/cave that he's been sleeping great (for him) since we got back.
The fragmented sleep creates bizarre dreams. I was thinking about dream interpretation a couple of weeks ago after hearing a sermon about Joseph. I wonder if the dreams then were more distilled because the dreamers were not bombarded by media like we are. All of their experience was direct. No books, no paintings, no tv, no recorded music. As close as they got to indirect experience was hearing stories. I wonder if the characters from stories they heard showed up in their dreams, in the way that several characters from "The Office" kept showing up in mine when we had our marathon a while back. Are Jim and Pam my sheaves of wheat?

4 comments:

Robin said...

All he needs is a little hair on the tops of his feet, and then those would for sure be hobbit feet.

I hope Hudson starts sleeping longer so you can get some rest soon.

I actually had a dream with Kate and Sawyer in the last week.

Margie said...

Funny you write about dreams when, last night, I dreamt for the first time in months. It, too, happened during fitful, bad sleep. I was talking to another mom (the one referenced in the Competition post) and was drinking a daily cup of tea. Only I had no tea and was drinking soap.

Patti said...

Robin clearly prefers Bad Boys.

Margie is going to win the Mom Competition by reviving the age old cure for bad words.

Sincerely,
Joseph

Margie said...

Yippee! I win! I win!