I realize the December Blog Challenge is over. I meant to post last night but instead celebrated New Year's Eve by going to bed at 9pm. Harper got a guitar for Christmas and she also got an Ezra Jack Keats (he of The Snowy Day which we also love) book entitled Little Drummer Boy. It's simply the text of the song with Keats' beautiful, collage-y illustrations. Every time I read it to Harper and Hudson I get a little choked up when I get to the line "I played my best for Him." It's such a perfect reminder of what we ought to be doing with our days. So last night while I was brushing her teeth Harper was humming "pa-rum-pa-pum-pum" and I told her how special it was that the Little Drummer Boy thought that he didn't have anything to give to Jesus, but that it turned out that playing his very best on his little drum was just as good, if not better, than all the fancy gifts Jesus had already received. What do you think you would give to Jesus? I asked. She thought for a moment and I just knew she was going to say that she would sing "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing." Nope. "I would give him P.B.," she decided. P.B. is the name she has given the stuffed moose her friend Chelsea from Canada sent her. Hudson got one too. I was pretty impressed because she really likes P.B. "Wow Harper, that's such a wonderful generous thing to do, wanting to give away your special moose." "Actually," she added expansively, "I would give him Hudson's moose instead." Ah, a substitutionary philanthropist.
Tuesday, January 1, 2008
I played my best for Him
I realize the December Blog Challenge is over. I meant to post last night but instead celebrated New Year's Eve by going to bed at 9pm. Harper got a guitar for Christmas and she also got an Ezra Jack Keats (he of The Snowy Day which we also love) book entitled Little Drummer Boy. It's simply the text of the song with Keats' beautiful, collage-y illustrations. Every time I read it to Harper and Hudson I get a little choked up when I get to the line "I played my best for Him." It's such a perfect reminder of what we ought to be doing with our days. So last night while I was brushing her teeth Harper was humming "pa-rum-pa-pum-pum" and I told her how special it was that the Little Drummer Boy thought that he didn't have anything to give to Jesus, but that it turned out that playing his very best on his little drum was just as good, if not better, than all the fancy gifts Jesus had already received. What do you think you would give to Jesus? I asked. She thought for a moment and I just knew she was going to say that she would sing "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing." Nope. "I would give him P.B.," she decided. P.B. is the name she has given the stuffed moose her friend Chelsea from Canada sent her. Hudson got one too. I was pretty impressed because she really likes P.B. "Wow Harper, that's such a wonderful generous thing to do, wanting to give away your special moose." "Actually," she added expansively, "I would give him Hudson's moose instead." Ah, a substitutionary philanthropist.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
This is one cute picture!
Patti, I'm impressed by your steady work with the concepts of truth-telling, philanthropy, and Jesus with your kids. This year was our first tricky Christmas; I said that Santa Claus brings presents because it's Jesus' birthday. I fear, however, the only thing Elizabeth will remember are the princess costumes and plastic heels. (Although the Fisher-Price Nativity Set is a hit. Yesterday she said, "Hi Joseph." "Hi Mary. Did you get the baby out of your tummy?" "Yes Joseph, here he is. His name is Jesus.")
I wanted to tell you we've had potty training success, but it's not entirely true. Just when I think we're there, she forgets. I'm ready for the day when I can trust that she won't be too tired or distracted to forget that a potty is only seconds away from any point in our small house.
Hi Margie! The vanity of a blog is that I only include the stories that make me look good. On a daily basis, I am lazy and utterly bad at this parenting business.
I love how Mary introduced Jesus to Joseph. Ostensibly because Joseph was out having a cigar with the shepherds when Jesus was born.
You'll love the fact that while a nice lady held the door for me while I wrested the stroller into Barnes and Noble on Wednesday I said to her, "We were walking to the park but it was so cold we thought we'd stop in and DE-THAW for a moment." !!!!!!
I think one big change I've made that is really helping Harper not have accidents is limiting her fluid intake to meals. I make an exception if she's running around at the park or if she tells me she's thirsty and it's been a while since she's had anything. I don't just leave sippy cups full of water sitting around like I used to. I think maybe it has helped her to be more attuned to the whole process.
wrestled the stroller, not wrested.
Post a Comment