1. Hudson's basketball team, The Grapes of Wrath, finished up the season on Saturday with another big win. It was the first game all season that Hudson didn't score, and he was pretty sad about that. He had several important assists and also played awesome defense (the guy he guarded was also scoreless) but that doesn't provide much solace to a ten year old boy. It MAY just be a coincidence, but the Daddy had given him a haircut that morning, because his mane was reaching distracting heights. Was that the source of his skill? We will never know. Also, last week he and a kid on the other team collided pretty violently-- Hudson got teeth to his skull. The other kid had to leave for medical attention. Hudson (and his hair) winced mightily, fought off tears of pain, but kept right on playing. It was practically Sparta.
2. Last Thursday, Harper had a field trip at Brazos Bend. We went early to do some bird watching. Harper got several pictures of this beautiful vermillion flycatcher.
Then she and her classmates put on an entertaining production of "Searching for Odysseus" in the outdoor amphitheater. Here is Athena, flipping a water bottle as pre-show preparation.
She had a commanding stage presence, though she really had not wanted to be one of the actors. I think having the stuffed owl on her shoulder gave her courage. In this next picture, she was showing the boys how to string her bow properly.
3. I believe I have mentioned my aversion to Holidays and Celebrations, generally. I am trying to do better, so on Valentines Day, we celebrated the martyrdom of the saint by making our own heart shaped pizzas. Also, I let each of the kids chose a bag of candy. Harper chose Andes mints, Hudson chose mint M&Ms, and Helena chose Smarties. I am certain St. Valentine would be well pleased.
4. Helena got invited to a fairy birthday tea party on Saturday, and had a delightful time. There was actually food for the moms too, and I ate four (4!) deviled eggs and a great number of tiny quiches. The little fairies were not appreciating the deviled eggs or the quiches, so I basically just felt sorry for them, ignored there on the platter. (Am I even spelling 'deviled' right? Devilled? And why are they called that even? Weird.)
5. We have been tearing through the audio books in the car. Last semester we listen to the entire Chronicles of Narnia (except
The Last Battle),
Cheaper by the Dozen, and
The Genius of Birds. We just finished
Little Men, and started
Little Women. I just finally finished listening to
Charlotte Bronte: A Fiery Heart by Claire Harman, which I only listened to when I was in the car by myself. It was a really well-written biography, and somehow managed not to be sad or melancholy, which is quite a feat considering how sad and melancholy the Brontes' lives were.
Ok, then. Enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment