Monday, January 30, 2017

Cocooned no more

Hudson turned 10 on Friday. I plan to interview him this week, which I sincerely hope will help me process that he's already been alive AN ENTIRE DECADE even though it feels like he should be approximately 7 months old. That's how old he was when I started blogging.

He had an actual party last year. I just realized I never posted a picture. He wanted to play laser tag, which he'd never done before, with a few buddies.

This year, he wanted another party. Instead, he got to get up as early as he wanted and play video games. Until it was time to leave to take Helena to ballet, and then pick Harper up at her Friday forum. If you are thinking that sounds a touch LAME, well, yes, it was a little. UNTIL Helena realized that something incredible had happened. THE POLYPHEMUS MOTH HAD FINALLY EMERGED FROM ITS COCOON!! It had been 3 months, and I almost threw them away last week, assuming they were mummified. In fact, I had put the habitat outside and forgotten about it. It happened to be a really windy, wet day, and the habitat got buffeted all over the yard before I noticed it was about to blow over the fence and went out and retrieved it. All, naturally, part of the plan for Hudson to be the only 10 year old ever to be personally celebrated, on his birthday, by a moth named after a cyclops!!

Harper and I both took lots of pictures with my real camera, then I realized my phone camera actually did a better job. His antennae are spectacular:



Then, on Saturday, Hudson showed that a new decade brings even more basketball prowess. He has lots and lots of hustle, on offense and defense.

 You are my very best son, dear one.




No comments: