Harper: Hudson! WHY did you take the binoculars off of my black bird?
Hudson (and me, in my head): WHAT?
Harper: My little black bird was wearing tiny binoculars and someone removed them! I already asked Helena and she said she didn't do it! WHY did YOU do it?
Hudson: (loudly. yellingly) I DON'T know WHAT you are TALKING about. Stop ACCUSING me!
Harper: WELL! SOMEONE did it. You don't have to get so mad. (she now bursts into a little ditty they made up that goes: "Let's be happy and positive!" It is sung in a very grating tone and never ceases to make the situation much more fraught.)
Here's a list of something more pleasant to listen to:
1. The Courage of Sarah Noble by Alice Dalgliesh, read by Barbara Caruso (this one is short and made a good companion to Indian Captive, which Harper was reading for her book club)
2. Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell, read by Christina Moore (this book is thematically intense and I would have had a really hard time reading it aloud without Much Weeping, but the narrator really nails the dispassionate almost stoic tone of the narrator, which somehow keeps things from getting so maudlin.)
3. Redwall, Mossflower, and Mattimeo by Brian Jacques (These audios are more like radio theatre, and the author is the narrator. He has a STRONG Liverpudlian accent, which is delightful, but takes getting used to)
I am still reading Swallows and Amazons aloud, but usually just a chapter a night. The kids like it but aren't really begging for another chapter when I am finished. Hudson and I have been taking turns reading Frightful's Journey by Jean Craighead George. I feel like the quality is not as high as the first two in the series, but it is still enjoyable. As much as I love birds, I am finding that sometimes advocates for birds (I am totally pointing at you, Audubon Society) get a little pedantic and strident with their platform. There is some stereotyping that makes me a little uneasy.
Now, I bring you a quick pictorial summary of the past few weeks. Hudson had basketball camp, got a high fever, missed two days, but made it back in fine form.
The kids made a few short films with Harper's camera. I believe here they are reviewing scenes from a masterpiece titled "Thugs on the Street." Note Helena's thug attire/Hudson's actual church clothes.
I had to get a new lens because my old one broke. Lots of practice shots. Helena is usually the only willing subject.
There have been hours and hours of drawing. These are a few of Hudson's creations. The theme is decidedly WEAPONS.
Their faces have not yet gotten stuck this way. Not from lack of effort though.

2 comments:
You can't beat a strong Scouse accent!!!
I recognized it immediately! The kids didn't think it was even English for the first few minutes. Have you read the series? We are really enjoying them.
Post a Comment