One of my summer goals was to let the kids have some freedom in the kitchen. We found the book Elliot's Extraordinary Cookbook (written by Christina Bjork and Lena Anderson, who also wrote Linnea in Monet's Garden) and I told Harper she could choose a recipe and make it entirely by herself. I actually went in another room to avoid the temptation to help and advise. (Cooking with children is a sure way to provoke my Inner Control Freak). She did great! I did come in right at the end when I realized she had put the baking sheet on the lowest rack in the oven. My Inner Control Freak draws the line at the acrid smell of burned-to-a-crisp whole-wheat braid. This book is really, utterly charming. For each recipe, there is a narrative that manages to incorporate both instructions and interesting facts about the ingredients. Highly recommend!
[That jam jar holding open the book in the second picture? The red goo inside is fake blood that Harper concocted to use on April Fool's Day. She was so disappointed I did not let her bring it to school. Sadly, Elliot's Extraordinary Cookbook does NOT include a recipe for fake blood.]

2 comments:
Nice work, Patti! (And Harper).
Impressive, both the bread and that you left the room while it was being prepared.
Post a Comment