A friend in our gymnastics class found him by their neighbors' pool and gave him to us. He was a red-eared slider and very tiny--about an inch and a half in diameter. I agreed to take him because of Hudson's love of Things Turtle, and also because she offered a free tank in which to put him. The kids were in absolute raptures. We stopped at Petco on the way home to pick up a few things, and the first red (eared slider) flag was when the Petco employee, when she heard of our acquisition, said, "Oh, little red-eared sliders are REALLY high-maintenance! Are you SURE you want him?" I will admit this made me nervous.
We got Timmy home and for five days, it was great. I spent lots of time on google trying to figure out why he didn't want to eat. I also spent lots of time cleaning out his tank and making sure he got adequate sunlight. The kids spent lots of time letting him toddle and burrow around the back yard and just generally proclaiming how absolutely CUTE he was. In my google research I learned red-eared sliders have a life expectancy upwards of 25 years, so the kids were planning on introducing Timmy to their children and grandchildren. I will admit, I liked him.
Then he died.
Hudson and I were sad and weepy for a couple of days. The girls expressed some initial sorrow (but no tears, even during our Burial Service) but seemed to move on pretty quickly. Hudson seemed to feel the weight of it a little more. And I cry when anyone else is crying. Have I mentioned this before? It is my not very useful spiritual gift. I mourn with those who mourn. So I would hear him sniffling, and I would scoop him up and we would sit in the rocking chair and cry together for a few minutes and talk about how cute and sprightly and charming Timmy was.
So, it was practice grief for my kids, who have yet to experience the loss of anyone they know well. We had some interesting theological discussions. They are all of the firm position that they will be reunited with Timmy some day. May it be so.

3 comments:
I'm sorry your Timmy died! He looked adorable. It's always a terrible risk to get a pet when you have kids. I admire your courage! We've only worked up to fish level of risk, and even there, haven't had the greatest luck.
Watching your child grieve is heartbreaking! When J's first fish died it was heart wrenching watching my sweet little guy struggle! But you are right that they are learning something important and you allowing them all to grieve in their own way is great. You are such a good mom. Maybe all those years in Child Life helped prepare you for these moments ; )
This made me tear up a bit. We long for those animal reunions in heaven.
Post a Comment