We've had some impressive goings on here. Hudson has lost two entire teeth (his first).
(On our way from dropping Harper off at a birthday party held at a place named Sweet and Sassy, wherein the little girls get their nails painted and their hair braided and sprayed with glitter hairspray. Not, incidentally, Harper's preferred environs, as you might imagine. She put on a brave, lipglossed face because she loves the birthday girl.)
Hudson: "Why is that place called "Sweet and Sassy"? What does "sassy" even mean?"
Me: "Well, I think it means kind of cute and energetic and spunky?"
Hudson: "What if they had named it "Sweet and Zombie Apocalypse"?"
Me: "I think that would service an entirely different demographic."
Hudson: "I would have my party there."
Then today on our way home from our co-op, this:
Hudson: "Did slaves get paid?"
Me: "No, that is essentially what slavery is: being forced to work for no pay."
Hudson: "But did they ever ENJOY cooking?"
Me: "Well, even if they enjoyed their work, they still wanted to be paid a fair wage for what they were doing. Incidentally, slavery is not, unfortunately, just in the past. but we can talk about that more later."
(Fairly long silence) then
Hudson: "So, you cook for us every day. And you don't get paid. Are you a slave?"
I was fairly impressed that he was generous enough to consider the food preparation that I do "cooking." Also I wondered if he is too young to see "Twelve Years a Slave." Then I realize that I am likely too young to see " Twelve Years a Slave" considering I still have not fully recovered from watching Ferris Bueller whip Denzel Washington in "Glory" which I saw circa 1990.
Anyway, he is a delight, that boy. He is slow as a tortoise if I want him to hurry. He is extremely fast when he is running or zipping around on his bike and scooter. He wishes he never had to brush his teeth. He loves Mustangs very much and he lobs questions like, "Okay, which one is faster, a Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500, or a Lamborghini?" at me several times during every single car ride. I usually answer, "I don't know, but that would be a fun race to watch!" To which he responds, "I need you to look that up for me on your iPad the minute we get home. I want a real answer." I am back on the blog wagon now. More to come.

3 comments:
Yay! You know I love to read about your life. Hudson is awesome!
Glad you're back on the wagon. I am trying to climb back on too.
I smiled at the "Zombie Apocalypse" party venue idea. Hudson may be on to something there. Boys are hilarious.
I love your response to the which car goes faster question!
How astute of Hudson to realize your slave-like status! ;-) But seriously, speaking of slavery, have you seen the movie Amazing Grace about Wilberforce's battle in England to outlaw slavery? Josiah and David and I studied Wilberforce earlier this (school) year and watched that movie. All of us thought it was quite good. I'm not sure it would be the right timing for a newly-turned seven-year-old though, but maybe later?
As always, it's a pleasure to read what you write. :)
Post a Comment