Thursday, September 12, 2013

My kingdom for a piece of chalk!


I don't suppose I have ever expressed it specifically, but this blog is generally a "best of" compilation when it comes to what I choose to write about. I think blogs (or single posts) that focus on the funny (usually self-effacing)  worst-mom-ever, most-mud-encrusted, free-range-kids-ever moments ARE funny, but I don't necessarily enjoy reading them. I do want to remember that these years are not always funny and delightful and meaningful, but I don't necessarily want to remember it in a public written forum. There now. Expectations adjusted.

So, welcome to Good Times Central. Or, as Helena said at the end of the day on Friday, when my parents were here, "Today was the loveliest day I have ever seen!"

Tonight she also made up a song, which she sang over and over: "God you are my savior. My very cute savior!"

Today I decided to start Hudson's handwriting lessons and I had what I thought were all of my materials. I had my tiny sponge. I had my tiny chalkboard. I had my teacher's book and my student book. Then I realized I needed a piece of chalk. I looked everywhere. I dug and sifted and shuffled. I found three identical sets of addition flashcards all bought at the Target dollar spot. Meanwhile, Hudson was downstairs at the table flipping through the workbook declaring it WAY too easy and also he already KNOWS everything in it. At which point I gave up the chalk quest and settled on a piece of much too fat sidewalk chalk I found in the garage. It did not go well from there. I took a picture of a very brief moment when everything seemed to be fairly steady, just so I will remember that even on days when homeschooling is not fun, there are still moments when things are fine.

We have been doing school for three weeks and already most of our pencils (or "pencles" as Harper prefers to spell it) have no erasers.

For my Dad's birthday, Hudson gave him three of his favorite (used) Matchbox cars (including a Cougar like Grandfather's, only a different color) and a (used) pencil that had Hudson's full name printed on it. He wrapped them by himself. I thought it was all very cute. You know, like God our
savior is very cute.

Without any segue, here is my second Tip For Being Thinner at 42 Than I Was at 25. You'll remember that:

Rule 1: Eat real ice cream instead of self-serve frozen yogurt.

Now,

Rule 2: Eat real sour cream, butter, yogurt, and cheese. Avoid nonfat and low fat substitutes. 

My exception here is milk. I don't really drink much milk, but when I do buy it, I buy 2%. But, interestingly, when I weighed more, I always drank skim. And I bought fat-free or low-fat  EVERYTHING. It just does not taste as good. I would  use this spray "butter" that supposedly had 5 calories a serving or somesuch nonsense. You can imagine the list of chemicals involved in making something taste "buttery" while having only 5 calories.

That's it for today's installation. May tomorrow be the loveliest day you have ever seen

3 comments:

Jo said...

Yes, and the big question is where do the pencils go? Izzy usually is the one who eats the erasers (I think she eats them, but I KNOW she's the one who breaks them).

I've bought this nifty cart at Michaels. It has 10 little drawers that are labeled by child and subject. They each have a pencil where needed in addition to the day's work. It's helped with organization. They get the work from there and return it there. So far, many more pencils have stuck around. Oddly, none of the erasers have disappeared in the last two weeks.

I think Izzy adores structure and organization (a weak area of mine). She even asked for a photo calendar for her birthday, which she will spend hours enjoying. I've even stopped doing that part of her homework b/c she's picked it up so quickly on her own b/c she just likes it!?! Now if I can just get her to see that when it is 11:57, the hour hand should point to the 12 (almost). She has stubbornly refused to accept this for the past 2 years, even though I've showed her the mechanisms of the clock as proof. I've explained it in every way imaginable and she acknowledges that it makes some sense, but if the hour is the 11th, then it OUGHT to point to the 11 - NO MATTER WHAT. I wonder when I'll be freed of doing clocks during school since we're at this stale mate? Ever???

Margie said...

Our erasers! We HAVE pencils, yes, but ALL erasers leave bad marks on the paper. Today I bought some of those stick-on-the-end erasers at Target for .99.

I'm with you on the real stuff. Real, scientifically, is supposedly much better for you than fake. But No Way can I say I weigh less now than I did at 25. Perhaps I should eat more ice cream.

Margie said...

Okay. It's been waaaay too long since I've been here, and unsure of the last visit I went way back - to this post I clearly HAD read before but hadn't remembered. (This long absence isn't the result of any desire NOT to read your blog, but of simply not getting on being proactive in getting OUT there to it.) I've kept your non-low-fat advice in mind however, and have adjusted accordingly. But I still don't weigh less than I did at 25.