Our First Ever Family Vacation did actually happen after a flurry of last minute planning. Before we could leave, Sasha had to meet a new vet, who was more than happy to examine her and allow her to stay for the week for a very tidy sum that I will not mention because it grieves me STILL. She survived the week without me, which surprised all of us.
We drove ELEVEN hours, in a single day, to Sandestin, Florida. We have a beach about an hour away, so you might (as we certainly did) be wondering if it was worth it. I'll let the view from our condo inform you.
We were not at all sure how the kids would do, considering that their longest car trip hence had been the 4 1/2 hours it takes to visit friends and family in Dallas. They did fantastically well. They actually seemed to enjoy looking out the window, and celebrating each state we passed through (Louisiana! Mississippi! Alabama!) I had new sticker books for Hudson (Ninjago) and Helena (fairies), and Harper had a stack of books and her sketch pad. We left at 4 A.M. which everyone except me seemed to think was terribly exciting and wonderful. We had breakfast at Cracker Barrel (a first for the kids. They enjoyed the gift shop very much). When we got to the beach ELEVEN hours later, they did this:
We spent the week swimming and digging and boogie boarding and looking for sand dollars (many, many broken pieces, and on the last evening, FINALLY, one almost intact!) The weather was perfection--cool with low humidity (an elderly local I met on the beach told me it was the nicest May weather she could remember in the 40 years she'd been there!)
We drove into Seaside and had shaved ice and then lunch at Bud and Alley's. There was also a terrific bookstore there. I bought some reading glasses. They are 1.75 magnification.
It really was a great week. I think waiting this long to finally take a real vacation had its benefits. The kids are much easier and independent now. They were really excited with the novelty of every new thing (except maybe eating calamari and shrimp. They didn't "care for it."), which perhaps they would not have been if we'd been doing this yearly since they were babies. Everyone slept well (except for when Helena fell out of bed onto the tile floor on the first day and got a huge bump right in the middle of her forehead.) and the husband and I were both able to relax. I didn't get much reading done (I brought 5 books and ended up only reading about 100 pages in one) but I did take lots of walks up and down the beach, which was better than reading. Especially now that I need 1.75 magnification.
Something else happened during my blog sabbatical: a certain girl turned EIGHT. Hopefully, I will get her interview posted tomorrow or soon thereafter. Here is a teaser: home-made roseate spoonbill cupcakes!!

8 comments:
I love reading that you found the long drive not only not bad but totally worth it. The pictures were perfectly lovely and I'm glad to hear Sasha survived. I don't know why expected reading doesn't happen on vacation, but it's some sort of universal truth. I also hate the K for Krispy and Kreme. It's no wonder no one knows how to spel anymore.
Happy 8th Birthday to Harper!!!
Ah! This puts a big smile on my face to see these pictures and read about your good times on vacation! I especially love the picture of all of you together!
But I also have to say: their FIRST doughnuts??? I'd better not mention the age my kids were when they had their first doughnuts...or how many we ate just last week when our next-door neighbors were making fresh doughnuts in a big kettle in their backyard and invited us over to have some and then gave us a whole plateful to bring back to our house! No, I'd better not talk about that. ;-)
Actually, I have discovered through the years that Jeff has very pleasant memories of his dad going out early in the morning and bringing home doughnuts to the family. I wouldn't say that Jeff has an abundance of pleasant memories of his dad, so the ones that he has are pretty important. Anyway, I discovered--after we had kids--that Jeff shows love to our kids by (among other things) buying them doughnuts. I guess maybe it's the 6th love language? :) And then I stopped worrying about all the sugar! and the fat! and just saw it as a loving gesture from a father to his children.
This is NOT to say, however, that you should have given your kids doughnuts at an earlier age. You did exactly the right thing for yours!!
And now I will stop writing about doughnuts, or else I will want one. With chocolate on top. ;-)
Are those burkinis??? Just kidding. I'm so excited y'all did that.
Davene--the idea of homemade doughnuts from a kettle would have been much harder to resist than picking them up from the Shipley's in the strip mall. I do love the fact that memories of food (like in the case of Jeff and his dad) can be such sweet ones. I don't think I do a very good job of that with my family, and it is something I really would like to change. I think I feel so burdened by all of the daily feedings that I forget that their physical nourishment can be an act of worship--both in the provision and in the thankful receiving. I did stop and pick up fresh bagels on my way home from Bible study this morning! Maybe that is a start..
Jo--I noticed we were definitely in the minority on the beach with our covered-up ness. But hooray to no sunburn!
Krispy doesn't use cream. http://www.krispykreme.com/nutri.html It would be misleading and inaccurate for them to brand themselves with the correct spelling. Being a cream-lover, I appreciate the honest reservation. (Do you know, I happened to see cream-flavored vodka awhile back. Disgusting. Cream is a pure milk product, so I reason the vodka must taste faintly of powdered sugar and vanilla. No desire to test that.)
Hudson looks really cute. So glad for the happy vacation report!
p.s. This is what we have for breakfast on special occasion days. :)
http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2012/10/apple-cider-doughnuts/
If you download the blog press app to your iPad, you can post pictures. You can email pictures to yourself on your desktop and save them to your iPad.
I love your burkinis. Did anyone wander up and ask what religion you are? We get that a lot in Galveston. Always baffles people when I tell them we don't have a religion!! No skin cancer for your sweet ones, and so much easier than sunscreen!
We don't eat many donuts either, but that was enough to inspire me to invite you over and serve some. (Just before you go home so the sugar crash is yours to deal with.)
Really glad you had a good trip. Now you can plan another one! We were just musing how nice it will be in a couple years when #4 gets to the "easy travel" stage.
Post a Comment