Well, I certainly did not intend to take such a long break.
Did anyone know that it takes 18 hours to drive from Houston to Estes Park, Colorado? We have not done it yet, mind you, but I am trying to plan the first annual Our Family Vacation for mid-May, and, as is highly unlike me, I am planning ahead to make sure it actually happens. We may put off Colorado for another couple of years, because of the 18 hours. Does anyone have any closer suggestions for mountains? New Mexico? The other option is the beach. I enjoy the Destin area of Florida and it is at least 6 hours closer than Estes Park. I've found some cute houses to rent in Seaside--any opinions/advice on that??
We have done some holiday traveling. We spent a few days with the grand folk on both sides. We got to watch my sweet friend Corrie get married.
Her family (she is one of seven kids) were with me when I lived in Hungary and they are dear, dear to me. It was wonderful to see the kids all grown up. Corrie and her twin sister Carmen reminded me that I had taken them to see their first movie in a theatre (they were 16 at the time) which I had forgotten. We saw the Emma Thompson "Sense and Sensibility" in English with Hungarian subtitles.
I am starting an Informal Big Year because on January 1, I happened to spot a Great Blue Heron coming in for a landing in Angus, Texas, on our way home from Dallas. Since then, I have added a mockingbird (our neighborhood), and a Great Egret (in a ditch just outside our neighborhood). Also a common grackle, a crow, and a mourning dove.It's probably going to be more of a Small Year, but it's something more than nothing. I am also going to try to do watercolors of each of the birds I spot. Lofty goals, have I. We got a children's book about John James Audubon, and a miniature folio of his, and I have been Inspired.
That's it. Except some pictures. I forgot to post evidence of our yearly "Nutcracker" trip, a generous Christmas gift from Grandmother Pate. I should link to the previous two years so we can marvel at how much these little ladies have grown.

7 comments:
How wonderful to see one of the Sarretts....wow time indeed passes quick. I also remember them fondly...
You also look so good Patti don;t know how you do it with homeschooling and all. x
Thank you, Maria! It was SO good to see the Sarretts and all the kids. Steve and Cathy both look terrific, and they have four (soon to be five) grandkids.Caylen (who was 6 when they came to Hungary) is now engaged and about to graduate from college!! And baby Natalie is now 17--impossible, isn't it??
Wow, it's the first time I noticed it. But Harper looks a lot like Grandmother P.
I think she is starting to look more like my side of the family. It seems to happen as they get older.
Ha,ha! That cracks me up. That's why if you go to Colorado you fly there. Haven't ever heard of anyone driving!!! For mountains I love Santa Fe. Easy flight to Albuquerque on SW. The town is cozy, has a million good museums, mountains at your doorstep, excellent food everywhere. Lots of good lodging options for families.
Arkansas has pretty mountains but I think you need to go to Northern Arkansas to see anything significant. Gulf Shores, AL is a nice alternative to Destin and a wee bit closer to cut the drive down an hour. Brian and his family drove there this past summer from Houston. I'll ask him how bad it was with three young kids and if he would do it again. I seem to recall thinking he was crazy for doing it.
So glad I'm not way far behind again. I have, I finally decided, put too much in my reader, which crowds out my favorite blogs! Good-bye (for now) (In)Courage and Deeper Story/Church/Family. Hello Bird Dog, Ladybug, and Firefly. You should have shown up at the top every single time.
Having driven it last summer, I attest Estes Park is a long, long way. We stopped in Hayes, KS on the way up, but we also had a 4-hr headstart from here. Movies, books-on-CD, and lots of kid music CDs occupied us (E and I listened to a couple of Narnia books again). Love the Arkansas idea (its mountains are lovely).
And if you do more watercolor cards, mightn't you sell me some? I'm ready to use something new, and fresh and your cards would be perfect for that.
Post a Comment