Tuesday, August 14, 2012

What they draw

I meant to mention that we went to a pool with a diving board last Wednesday (a first) and, inspired by the platform and springboard events she'd watched the night before, Harper dove (which was much more of a belly flop, even though she was convinced she was diving perfection) and did front flips off of it again and again. I can't believe that at the start of the summer she couldn't really swim independently, and now she is so fearless (if slightly dependent on her nose clip). The other two weren't allowed to go off the board with their flotation devices, but maybe next summer. Speaking of Olympic inspiration, I asked Harper this morning which sport she thinks she would like to get really good at and she said rhythmic gymnastics. She has been pouncing and stalking rather dramatically around the house with her hula hoop and also her long ribbon, given to us many years ago by the B's (the original stick is missing, but Harper has tied it to one of Hudson's drumsticks). Hudson thinks maybe he might want to be a modern pentathalete, what with all of his fencing, shooting, running, swimming and horse jumping skills. It's rather Mr. Darcy, as sports go, so I would support him in that endeavor.

This summer is slipping by so quickly, and I was trying to think about what we've done when we have been at home. The kids have drawn for many happy, quiet hours. Here is a sample of what Hudson spends most of his time on. You'll notice that, similar to Rembrandt in his childhood drawings, the theme is consistently STAR WARS. The bad guys have the "V" eyebrows on their forehead, just like in real life:
 This one came from Sunday school. It reads, "Draw a picture of yourself thanking God for his help," and so Hudson, just as Daniel or Moses might have done during Old Testament times, chose to draw himself with his light saber raised high in praise.
.
 

Harper spent an hour upstairs drawing this amazing Great Blue Heron. She used  one of our Draw Write Now books (do you know about these? They are neat.) to guide her:


Helena still isn't very interested in drawing. She'll scribble or paint for about 10-15 minutes, and then she'll go about some other business. Being very cute is a talent in and of itself, I hear.

1 comment:

Margie said...

I keep thinking, as I read, I'll get caught up - surely I didn't go this long without commenting? But apparently so. It's perfectly okay that Helena's talent is cuteness. It can take one pretty far. But Harper's blue heron is super impressive. So you paint well - is good artistry a family trait, as in DNA, or is it learned? Just wondering.