We have just gotten home from a morning of errands. We pretty much traversed the western plains of Houston in this order: Target, Costco (the husband has questioned more than once why I can't possibly have all of my needs met at one of these two stores. I have wondered this myself, and the answer is complicated. Costco does not have the brand of toilet paper we use, for example, but they DO have organic snacks in bulk, for half the price I'd pay at Target, who does have the brand of toilet paper we use. And yes, I want to slap myself for having "a brand of toilet paper we use" and then force myself to spend a week using corncobs like those African mothers in that movie "Babies."), the water district office to pay the water bill, the library (we had 38 books due today, and we also picked up some ballet dvd's that Helena is very excited about, including one in which the Royal Ballet performs The Tales of Beatrix Potter that I am very excited about), and the dry cleaners. Everyone handled themselves reasonably well, and there were some entertaining conversations in the car. This was my favorite:
Hudson: (with an action figure) Look at Han Solo doing a grand jete, Helena!
Helena: That's NOT a grand jete! That's nuffing.
Hudson: Helena! Say it's really good grand jete-ing or else I will STRUCK you DOWN when we get home with my you know WHAT!
Helena: (slight pause, while she decides if she dares, then, quietly) That is NOT a grand jete. It. Is. Nuffing.
Hudson: OH HELENA. Now I have to struck you with my LIGHT SABER because those ARE good grand jetes and you should tell the TRUTH.
I'm actually kind of surprised that Han Solo's grand jetes are not up to Helena's standards, because one morning this week, he, Luke, C3PO, Chewbacca and R2-D2 were all lined up on my dresser doing the splits (actually, maybe not R2-D2) and they had been in that position all night long, apparently, which one would assume would create superior flexibility.
I find myself frustrated with the televised Olympic coverage. I think they should show every single sport, even if it's just the finals when the medals are won. I have yet to see any archery OR shooting OR fencing OR judo OR Taekwondo OR synchronized swimming (these are all sports the kids were excited to watch) and I have seen MORE THAN ENOUGH of the qualifying rounds for swimming and running and beach volleyball (which I've been trying to avoid ever since Harper wondered aloud why they needed to "wear just their panties while they are playing"). Unless it's that amazing South African guy with the bionic legs, I don't need to see every group qualifying for the 400 meters.I know I could somehow watch things on the computer, but that is much harder than turning on the tv, and then the kids have to jockey for position in front of the tiny screen, and that invites all sorts of incidences of poor sportsmanship from the viewing audience. In fact, it's possible that someone might get STRUCK DOWN.
When we got home from the many errands, Helena and Hudson made up a game called Tormenting the Dog With Remote Controlled Finn McMissile.
And now, I would really like to take a nap. But I need to load the dishwasher and check some word troubles and also do a reading lesson with Hudson. Which will it be???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
How do you keep track of 38 library books?!
We have a book basket reserved for library books in our den. Sometimes they make it to a shelf or a bedroom, but generally they go where they belong w/o too much searching. When someone finds one in the wrong spot, it's easy to pick it up and drop it in the library basket.
We usually have 30something books from the library too! The library app on my phone has saved me a ton in late fees. Also, our little ones really enjoyed the shooting, archery, and fencing events! They were all on early last Saturday morning. Sad you missed it. We decided I our kids wanted to be Olympic archers or skeet shooters we would do all we could to make that happen.
We have a designated shelf just for library books and, like Jo mentioned, when the kids find one elsewhere in the house, they do a pretty good job of getting them back on that shelf. It's actually one of the few "clean up" strategies that I have that actually works fairly well on a regular basis.
Kathy-- my main frustration has been in trying to figure out what is going to be televised when so I can record it (and then watch later sans commercials). The short blurbs of what is going to be on at a particular time haven't been very accurate--today, I thought I was recording rhythmic gymnastics and instead ended up with wrestling. I do NOT enjoy the wrestling.
Post a Comment