I really enjoy listening to the kids talk in the car. I've realized that if I don't turn on music or our memory work cd (which the big kids think they shouldn't have to listen to because it is summer, so they complain and act like they still know it all and never need to review ever. Then I will say, "okay, Harper-- let's hear the 13's!" and she will mumble something about knowing the 13's but not wanting to recite them just right now) the conversation will get very entertaining. Here's an example:
Helena: Hudson! I like princesses! Do you?
Hudson: No! I only like Star Wars. Well, and Batman. Me and Trammell like Batman.
Me: Trammell and I.
Hudson: You do like Batman, Mommy?
Me: Well, I do...
Harper: (who has been reading and who generally waits to enter the conversation until she can stir things up a little, or to correct someone.) June and I like unicorns. Batman does NOT like princesses, Helena. So.
Helena: Does Superman like princesses?
Harper and Hudson, in unison: NO!
Me: And how do you know that to be the case?
Hudson: Well, maybe they might like Princess Leia. Only because she has a gun.
Harper: I see a Subaru! And a Toyota. Hey, Hudson--Toy Yoda! You have a toy Yoda!
Hudson: YEAH! And Daddy has a Subaru!
Helena: Does Spiderman like ballerinas (bow-weenas)?
Hudson: He does NOT.
Harper: I think I see a cattle egret over there! Hey, cattle egrets like to stand close to cows, and ostriches like to stand next to zebras. They are both birds who like to stand next to hoofed mammals! (Does the SAT still have that analogy section? Because I'm thinking she might excel on that part. Which just might make up for the fact that she will not do stellar on the math portion because she can't now, and will likely NEVER, be bothered to learn her 13's)
Anyway, it goes on and on like that. Harper is in the back seat by herself, and we had told Hudson he could move back there with her when he could completely click himself in, which he has been able to do for well over a year now. He brings it up occasionally, but I really like it that he's next to Helena. It requires them to interact and converse in a way they might not otherwise.
Harper ate some sushi for the first time at lunch today. Actually, they all tried it (just a vegetarian roll with avocado, cucumber, and carrots) but Hudson and Helena stopped after their required bite. Harper said she didn't mind the seaweed very much, but that it was not her favorite part. Helena kept pretending to take an enormous bite of the wasabi, which made the other two CRAZY.
I was That Mom today at the playscape. The kids were all running around getting all sorts of energy expended, then I looked over and noticed a whole clump of them had stopped moving and were staring over one little kid's shoulder. He'd gotten his mom's iphone and was playing some game and there were 6 kids (including two of mine) standing like statues trying to watch. I marched over and shooed my kids away to get back to their running and playing and hide and seek. I even said, "Go run and play! We did not come all the way here to sit and watch a video game!" I know. I am obnoxious. But I still think I'm right.And also, (true confession) the whole reason we even decided to go to the playscape in the first place was because I had let the kids sit comatose for almost an hour of "Franklin" and "Little Bear" this morning so I could get some phone calls made. That's right. I'm a hypocrite.
I had almost mentioned a couple of weeks ago that we didn't seem to have mosquitoes out here in the suburbs. Then it began to rain on a daily basis and OH, do we ever have mosquitoes out here in the suburbs. They are GIGANTIC. Unfortunately, Helena loses all control of her emotions and all five senses when she sees a mosquito, and when one actually lands on her she does this spastic running swatting screaming thing that is terrifying to watch. (And also sort of hilarious). Yesterday morning we were walking to the pool and the gigantic mosquitoes began to attack us and she began the flailing swatting screeching run, which caused her to trip because she was wearing her cheap Target flippety shoes, which caused her to fall and skin her knees. It was VERY DRAMATIC and also so, so loud. She wept and swatted and screeched and bled all the way to the pool. When we got there, I gently suggested we might get a band-aid from the lifeguard, and she went into and even louder wailing screeching flailing protest at this hideous notion. She finally curled into the fetal position in my lap, where she sniveled and occasionally howled when I would have the audacity to suggest that she might have recovered enough to actually go swimming. It all lasted about 30 sweaty minutes. I wanted to explain to her that being afraid of mosquitoes when one lives in Houston is akin to being afraid of humidity. Or Mexican food. These things are so ubiquitous that you simply can't avoid them. I don't think she bought it, but she did finally get into the pool.
I got to have a little ladies' getaway at Lost Pines with 3 other moms this weekend. It was my first time to do such a thing since Harper was born. It was delightful all-around.On Saturday night, I ate two s'mores made with Reese's peanut butter cups (which, let's face it, would not have happened if I'd had to help 3 kids get their s'mores first while also ensuring that no one went face first into the fire pit). Mrs. S and I played tennis twice. I still can't do a forehand or backhand slice, even thought the pro gave it his all. We floated in the lazy river for hours, chatted, read, ate peanut butter M&Ms, and generally enjoyed the total lack of responsibility. The re-entry has been a little bumpy, but I am glad to be home.
Yes, I wear a long-sleeved turtleneck to swim, even when it is 95 degrees.

2 comments:
So glad you got to get away! Hope it was restful!
Oh, Harper. You do not need to learn your 13s. Public school kids don't go past 12s, and you can use a calculator on the SAT anyway. I do not know my 13s and have not suffered in the least.
Post a Comment