Helena is three today on the 3rd, which apparently makes this her "golden birthday." We had blueberry cake for breakfast, because that is one of the two presents she asked for (even though we've never had blueberry cake before--I think she thought it sounded like a happy combination. And it is!) Of course, when I went to take some pictures, my memory card was full. I took a few yesterday, on her last day of two:



I plan to interview her later today at some point. Maybe I'll jot down a few things now, just in case it never happens. She got on my scale this morning and weighs 29 pounds. I don't know how tall she is, but people often comment that she seems tall. She learned this week to really pedal and steer the tricycle all by herself. Is this late? Early? Right on time? I haven't looked at one of those developmental milestones charts in a long time because I think it's kind of pointless. I noticed at church last Sunday that she's alternating feet on the stairs, going up and down. That's new. She's not much of a talker, but when she does, it comes out in sentences more and more. I think my favorite thing she says is "WHAT in the WHEELED?" instead of What in the WORLD.

She loves playing dress up, but always wants the costume on top of her regular clothes. She calls head bands "head lamps." She loves to "do ballet" (which she pronounces "buw-WAY"):

She is still a terrific sleeper--at least 12 hours at night and a 2-3 hour nap. She puts her index and middle fingers of her right hand in her mouth. She sleeps with around 20 stuffed animals and dolls in her crib. Still in the crib, still hasn't tried to climb out. She has a little brown birthmark on the right side of her torso which she calls her "spot." She enjoys having it tickled by the Daddy, just after her bath. She loves stories. Some favorites right now are
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do you See?,
Harry, the Dirty Dog,
Good Night, Texas, and
Hug. She likes playing with dolls, big and small (she requested a Polly Pocket as her other birthday present. "Blueberry cake and a Polly." she said, firmly, when asked about her birthday wishes.) and swinging very high and changing her shoes a dozen times a day. She likes listening to our memory work cd and gets super excited, every single time, when the lady recites, "Helena, Montana!"
She loves her Daddy, her grandparents, her siblings, her dog, her friends--sometimes in that order, sometimes not. We all love her back. We are infinitely glad she joined us.
1 comment:
Patti - those ringlets! They almost look pretend. Loved this post for the amazing photos, but all the great little tidbits about Helena, whom I still consider the "newborn" (as I do Shav, and Katie's Gideon, even though Shav's about to be an older brother and Gideon already is one). I think I might begin uttering "What in the wheeled?" and see if anyone notices.
Post a Comment