Next, Grandmother Pate arrived to take the big girls to the Houston Ballet's production of "The Nutcracker."
Maybe you'll notice I got a haircut. I don't care for it, but I'm trying not to dwell. I went to a local school that trains hair stylists. I'd been once before and had liked the cut (and the price) but had conveniently forgotten that student stylists take conscientious to a new level. It took THREE hours. Almost 2 hours for the cut (I think it's possibly she cut each single hair individually), and then another hour for her to blow dry and straighten it. About 2 hours in, I realized something. I probably just need to let my hair be what it wants to be. If it takes THREE hours to thin it and dry it straight and subdue it with a flat iron, that is just patently ridiculous. So, I think I need to surrender and just let it be the frizzly, enormous mop that it seems to be inclined towards. I saw the lovely Emmylou Harris on a PBS thing the other night and she has a glorious mane of silver, unruly locks, and it was inspirational. Maybe I'll learn to sing bluegrass and play the guitar too. Once my hair is loosed, who knows what talents will present themselves.

7 comments:
Why yes, I did notice your haircut! Even before I got to the part where you mentioned it. I am shopping for a new 'do these days. I like yours - and if I had lovely thick hair, I'd try it, but mine is thin and flat and I am still searching for a cut that will make my hair look poofier than it wants to be.
And, congrats on the new bike rider! We are considering moving up from tricycles soon...
I always loved your hair in college. I love natural! Our daughter's dance studio performs the nutcracker each year and this is the first year I've gotten to sit in the audience and enjoy. I, too, found myself tearing up during waltz of the flowers. Terry looked at me and I'm sure he was wondering what was up? Actually maybe not. I tend to cry quite easily. :) I said, "it's just so beautiful and the music makes me want to cry." I'm so glad the three generations were able to make such a special memory. You'll have to do it again when Helena is old enough. Merry Chritmas to you and your sweet family!
Zoe--The girl in the chair next to me got a very similar haircut to mine, only hers looked much better (very bouncy and swingy) BECAUSE her hair was much thinner. Mine tends to make this sort of mushroomy clump at the bottom and yours wouldn't.
Kristin--My hair has gotten much more wiry than it was at A&M. Maybe pregnancies? Turning 40?
Thank you for crying during "Waltz of the Flowers" with me. I was thinking of a list today of all of the different Christmas songs that make me cry. It's a really long list.
Patti, your DVD's already on my queue. I just finished a good one called "When I Dance." It's about two poor kids trying to make it in classical ballet from Rio de Janeiro. I cried a lot, but it wasn't so much b/c of the music. I think the dancing'll be even better in yours. My Nana used to tear up when she played certain chords (violinist). I mean just the chord alone. You've got an artist's soul, my friend.
I don't think there is once episode of "Little House" that I've stayed dry during - pretty cheesy, huh?
Of all the blogs to make typos in!!!
Yes! There are certain chords that trigger it. If I had paid closer attention when my piano teacher tried to teach me theory, I'd know which chords they are. Alas.
I had to read your comment three times through before I found the typo. So, not very egregious, obviously.
I haven't watched "Little House" in many years but I am certain it would be a weepfest for me now.
Oh, haircuts. Bother! Still trying to "find my look," and love your idea of simply letting it be. My mother's gone that route and it's wonderful - all silvery, and natural looking. Based on these comments, think I need to begin looking for Little House DVD's. But are we ready??? Still haven't read the books - perhaps we give those a go, first.
(Writing a letter to you, today. Nearly done.)
Post a Comment