Sunday, December 11, 2011

Smuggle puppy like jazz



Helena likes several of Sandra Boynton's board books, but her favorite is probably Snuggle Puppy, or SMuggle Puppy if you speak Helenese, which you should because it is a super cute language. I don't care for Snuggle Puppy because it is supposed to be sung and there is no suggested melody for the song, which I have mentioned on more than one occasion results in frustration for me. Also, Harper and Hudson wanted Bread and Jam for Frances AND A Baby Sister for Frances the other night, and, as much as I love that sassy Frances, she is VERY wont to break into song as well. The kids don't seem to mind my melodic improvisation, but I mind. It's why I've never been very good at listening to jazz. It just seems so scattered and rambling, even though I know it isn't. Don't get mad at me. In college I was in a couple of different organizations that brought all kinds of concerts to campus, and one of the Marsalis brothers (Wynton, I think?)came with his trumpet one time. I knew he was playing with great skill and artistry, but I felt like there were ants crawling on me with wanting him to FINISH THE SONG ALREADY. I even spent a week at L'Abri and jazz was practically like the worship music there because it's Switzerland and everyone is so cool and jazzy and cool, but I just couldn't make myself like it.

These two guys at church did a very cool rendering of "Lo How a Rose E'er Blooming" this morning. It's a German carol. The music at our church is often astonishingly good. Which is good for my soul. Unlike jazz. Which makes my soul feel untethered and adrift. Blue like jazz?

Helena has discovered that she can make Harper and Hudson laugh, which is great. What is not great is that she has discovered that the way that she can make Harper and Hudson laugh is by saying "poo-poo and tee-tee" at inappropriate moments (which, frankly, encompasses ALL moments as far as I am concerned). Abraham Piper posted a funny thing on his blog a couple of weeks ago. He decided to make his boys ask, "Is now a good time for scatological humor?" every time they wanted to make poo-poo tee-tee jokes. Maybe I'll work on that with her this week.

The kids looked pretty cute for church this morning which naturally makes the camera urge irresistible. So we got home and I ran in for the camera, only while I was leaning over to put Helena where I wanted her, the camera, which was around my neck, swung forward and smacked her in the face. Which made her cry. Loudly, which made Harper cranky. Plus the sun was awkward. Behold!

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh Patti, I'm starting to sing Snuggle Puppy as I read! I am happy to report that there IS a melody to Snuggle Puppy and you can find it on the wonderfully creative Philadelphia Chickens album. It comes in a book with the lyrics and music. I used to sing Snuggle Puppy to my little Colby. Sandra Boynton wrote everything and had "famous" people record them. They all have rather average voices, which makes it even more fun. Now, this is NOT in any way a serious music album, but it's so very fun and full of silliness, charm, and sing-a-long qualities. Some titles: Pig Island, Belly Button, Nobody Understands Me. I highly recommend it and if your music tastes are even a little bit eclectic, you'll probably enjoy it. (But not too many times in a row! :)

Kristin said...

I was so excited about telling you the Snuggle Puppy news, I completely skipped over your L'Abri comment. Last year, my oldest daughter, Brenna, read the book How to Be Your Own Selfish Pig and Other Ways You've Been Brainwashed. It's authored by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay and took place at L'Abri. I had not heard of L'Abri before. Pretty cool that you got to spend time there.

Patti said...

Oh Kristin! What wonderful tidings you bring to me this happy morn! I will be ordering the Philadelphia Chickens album post haste. AND the Susan Schaeffer Macaulay book. I knew she had some great books on homeschooling, but I had not heard of this one. I trend towards being My Own Selfish Pig more days than not, so maybe Harper and I can read it together at some point.

Zoe said...

Oh Frances, isn't she hysterical? And this is a little embarrassing, but sometimes I find myself randomly singing her little songs - "Jam on biscuits, jam on toast! Jam is the thing I like the most!" etc etc.

Margie said...

You know I really love the pictures, don't you. They tug at my heart. Especially, weepy Helena.