Wednesday, June 1, 2011

What's your point? Wednesday

Grace Upon Grace


I was sitting in a chair reading at my parents' house last week, and Hudson came over and gently placed his hand on my shin to ask a question. He jerked his hand away and exclaimed, "WHAT are those...SPIKES??" I explained that the SPIKES were really just tiny hairs that I had not tended to properly because I had not been able to procure the correct depilatory device in the shower that morning. He then went and got his special blanket and rubbed it tenderly up and down my leg while asking approximately 237 more questions, most of them regarding whether or not it hurts Very Much to have SPIKES growing on one's legs. Dear Hudson's wife (in 30 years because he is going to live with me until then): I have set the standard VERY high in MANY ways, but rest assured that if you miss a day of shaving your legs, it will be okay. You are welcome.

Helena likes to boss the dog around and her favorite thing to say is, "OBEY MOMMY, SASHA!" She started saying "button" instead of "bubbin" this week and that makes me a little sad.

We went to the zoo today and Harper took her new octopus Coconut and introduced him to the real octopus (who she has named Octavius, but she calls him "Cookie" for short) and the three of them had a great time. At one point she called me over to show me that Octavius/Cookie was doing tricks for them, and you know, he really did look as though he was trying to balance on one tentacle while waving the other seven about rather wildly.

We are getting a new refrigerator tomorrow and the kids are going to be able to get their own water right out of the door and I think this is going to change my life in a small but significant manner. Harper can't wait to act out the book Christina Katerina and the Box with herself in the title role and Hudson as Fats Watson.When I got home from Bible study tonight, the husband had cleaned under and behind and on top of the old refrigerator so that I would not have to deal with the filth of tenants past (and our own) when the Sears delivery man gets here tomorrow. That's love, I tell you.

I realized today that ever since Sasha calmed down and stopped being so nervous about life in general, she has begun to sleep about 23 hours a day. She curls into a small ball on top of a couch cushion and she dozes ALL DAY. I guess when their need to fend for food is removed, all they have left to do with themselves to is figure out how to please their people, and she has ascertained that I am pleased when she is curled into a ball on top of the couch cushion, and therefore not bothering me. Am I causing her to atrophy is some way? Perhaps.

Helena resting on Athanasius, who turned into a stuffed dog, apparently due to excessive inactivity:

No comments: