Sunday, May 16, 2010

he built him an arky arky

We went to a birthday party this afternoon at a splash pad modeled after Noah's Ark. The kids had a great time. Harper, upon arriving, spied a little girl with her exact swimsuit on and bellowed, "GIRL! WE HAVE ON THE SAME SWIMSUIT! LET'S BE FRIENDS!!" And they were.

Even Helena joined the fun, with a little help from Daddy.

I am always slightly annoyed when the story of Noah and his ark is passed off as a cute and cuddly Bible story. In the same way I got annoyed when Harper's coloring page from Sunday school a few weeks ago depicted Jesus and the guards who took him from Pilate. They were all cutesy and Precious Moment-y and the only indication that something horrible was going on was the slight furrow in the soldiers' eyebrows. I think I've written before about my general frustration in this arena. It seems to me that you should wait until the kids are older, then you tell it to them straight. And no, I'm sorry to say I don't know what age "older" is. I just can't imagine a kid finally hearing the details of what those guards did to Jesus and then trying to reconcile it with the Precious Moments coloring page. **Margie reminded me I first wrote about this here.

On a lighter note, is there anything cuter than a baby with her feet crossed?


And, to end, a couple of Hudson's funny pronunciations these days:

pj's: pweh-gees (as in "Daddy, I'm naytid! Can you help me get my pweh-gees on?")

piano: pway-an-oh (as in "I'm goin to drum and pway my pway-an-oh now.)

consequence: tahn-suh-twence (as in "I don't want a tahn-suh-twence. I am goin to obey now.)

13 comments:

Jamie said...

I was thinking about this exact same phenomenon tonight--the ladies' restroom at the building our church rents has various Naoh's Ark scenes stenciled on the walls. Death, destruction, the wrath of God being poured out. Obviously this account encourages us as believers who will be saved from the wrath to come, but how it made the leap to nursery and bathroom decor, I don't think I quite understand.

I think I might do Simeon's room in an "Elijah and the prophets of Baal" theme.

Patti said...

Or maybe the cute, cuddly bears Elisha unleashed on those kids who made fun of him for being bald.

Jamie said...

oops--was it Elisha? I sat there and debated even though I was at the computer obviously and could have googled. Google removes all excuse for error.

Patti said...

Elijah=Baal prophets
Elisha=bears

You were right. Google schmoogle.

Jamie said...

Have I mentioned I'm pregnant? Let's blame that.

Lisa said...

Patti, Helena is so cute, I just want to eat that little nose right off her face! Miss y'all.

Margie said...

Patti, I wish you had referenced your post about the Sunday School artwork that involved cotton balls and the serpent on the pole incident. The idea behind that post has stayed with me.

I just picked up the My Travel Time Bible CD, in which the Bible is read, in story fashion, for kids. As an alternative to your comment about cutesy Noah's Ark, I find myself wondering about how to explain the near sacrifice of Isaac (nothing is spared in the readings), the enslavement of Joseph for years, and Moses' the killing of the Egyptian and that kind of thing. Elizabeth is really listening and asking questions, so I suppose we're getting the "old enough" age. But sometimes it makes me wince, even so.

On another note, I picked up Nurture-Shock at the library today. I had seen it before, but was skeptical of yet another book about parenting, but opted to get it after seeing your rec. The first two chapters - all I've read - are totally riveting.

Patti said...

Margie--there were several new ideas for me in "Nurture Shock." The one that really stuck out was the study in which kids who were only exposed to "educational" tv shows (in which conflict resolution was modeled) actually exhibited more aggressive behavior because they paid attention during the building of the conflict (the other dogs taunting Clifford, for instance) and had tuned out by the time the conflict was resolved in the last 5 minutes. We have cut WAY back on our tv viewing and I think it is probably helping with some of the sibling antagonism at our house.

Margie said...

I just finished NS and - wow - am chewing on a lot. What rang a bell with me was lying. Sarah's our pathological liar; she seems to fit the model of, "It's easier to say I didn't do it than admit I broke the rules and face the consequences." So I've started to address this with some of the book's recommendations (as in, I've begun to overtly praise truth-telling when it happens).

I plan on reading the chapter about Teen Rebellion to Wayne. Great insight, there. Lots to prepare for.

Krista Sanders said...

Started to comment- then read other comments and got totally engrossed in your and Margie's "conversation" and now I want to meet for coffee so I can be in on it!! I get to see Margie on Monday so maybe she can fill me in.
Back to your post--funNY-- again. And, no, there isn't anything cuter than those crossed feet. I am still photographing them at 8 on the "pway-an-oh" bench.
New favorite kid's Bible-- the Jesus Storybook Bible

Margie said...

I'm standing in the kitchen waiting for some water to boil, and found the old post! The date: 1/9/09. The craft involved making a serpent out of marshmallows. Found your entire post interesting, especially in light of the ages of the kids then, and now. Our concerns remain consistent.

Margie said...

Wait a minute - it must have been 1/9/08. Sorry.

Patti said...

Krista--Harper got The Jesus Storybook Bible for her birthday this week! I just started reading last night and am already really impressed with the weaving together of Old and New Testament--love the "every story whispers his name" reminder, because it makes some of the harder Old Testament stories a little easier to explain.

Margie--we have made lying a really big offense. She gets double punishment, a consequence for the deed, and another for the lie to cover it up. I try to gently remind her when I sense that she is struggling to tell the truth that she need not get the second consequence. Usually she makes a good choice.