Sunday, September 20, 2009

robed in righteousness

I don't blog much about current events, mostly because I don't have time to be as informed as I feel I ought to be if I'm going to give any kind of insightful commentary. But lately I've been increasingly annoyed as to why we spend so much time analyzing motive. I think we can agree that a congressman yelling something rude at the President of the United States is bad form. That Serena Williams probably shouldn't berate a line judge. And that a bunch of kids beating up another kid on a school bus is shocking. Why does the ACT (the inappropriate yelling, the beating up) so quickly get passed over into The Analysis of WHY? And it really is frustrating and lazy to always make The Why somehow about racism. There are people who are determined to see racism everywhere and people who are determined to see racism nowhere. I'm pretty sure the truth is somewhere in between. I read an interesting study about racism and children last week and I'm still thinking about it. The gist of it was that even when parents don't differentiate between races, kids are, of course, noticing and wondering why no one is bringing it up.

We are deciding about church. Since we've moved, we are about 5 minutes from our old church, and I really struggle with the idea that we ought to worship in our community and not drive past 87 other churches to get to the place that we think Meets Our Needs. Our old church and our new church have orthodoxy in common (though the old church might dispute this), and just about nothing else. Their orthopraxy is starkly different. At the old church the pastor is robed in a heavy black robe to remind him of the weight of his charge to faithfully render the Scripture. At the new church this morning, the pastor was robed with a t-shirt and jeans and his three year old son Christian, who, because his mom has been out of town hadn't been sleeping well and decided that he needed Daddy, right in the middle of a sermon about Exodus. The weight of his charge resting on his shoulder, he taught us about Jethro and Moses and the offering of burnt sacrifice in response to deliverance. There are those who are determined to see God everywhere and those determined to see Him nowhere. I am convinced it is the former.

Helena had about 4 bites of mashed up banana this morning and seemed pleased. We all went to Hobby Lobby this afternoon and got some paint and construction paper and glitter. I am 100% sure that I will regret the glitter.

6 comments:

Maria Smith said...

yeah so understand your dielma about church...when we moved here from the fabulous BAPTIST CHURCH where we were used and abused and happy:)) we had a ime off (don;t recommended it unless you need a break) and then we decided to go to the COE (Church of England up the road) that has put a newletter through our door. We felt at ease so we are still there. At the back of our house there is another church (United Reformed) they also put a lovely Fair Trade chock, tea and brochure through our door when we moved here but when we visited it wasn;t home. And, Baptist church which is 2 mins away was a definate STRANGE REMINDER OF LIVING IN COMMUNISM so although it reminded me of a HOME it wasn;t my home....so take time and see where your heart sits down...or settles down. Its great though being in the community. We feel so at home even we worship in a church with ROBES And BELLS and such. I hardly ever notice the robes and tend to just enjoy the service shed tears when we sing WE ARE MARCHING IN THE LIGHT OF GOD (I look around and see simple but happy gang) and even some Sundays R is the only youngster there we are happy....
Hope you;ll soon settle in.

Sounds great fun the crafts day you are planning can I come?! I love glitter!

Robin said...

That study on race and children is interesting. Did you read it somewhere online?

Yay, you finished Atlas Shrugged! Did you like it?

Patti said...

Yes--it was in Newsweek I think. I saw it on msn.com. I DID like Atlas Shrugged. I miss it a little.

Robin said...

I missed it when I finished the book, too.

Margie said...

You will surely regret the glitter, and probably already have. Any decisions yet about church? We are so, so happy in ours that we would willingly drive past the 87 others should we ever move. But, thankfully, we're only 7 minutes away and this isn't an issue.

Davene said...

I am 100% sure that I haven't ever read another blog post that included the word "orthopraxy." It's nice to see that word again.