Thursday, September 10, 2009
I love our neighborhood
We went for a walk yesterday afternoon between rainstorms. Harper on her tricycle (she has a bike, you'll remember, but it is really still too big and wobbly for me to supervise properly when I've got the other two along), Hudson on his little push trike, and Helena in the stroller. Our new neighborhood is the sort where people wave when you walk by. We had just turned a corner and I saw a car coming slowly towards us. They stopped in the middle of the street and the window rolled down. It was an elderly couple and the wife was driving. The husband said, out the window, "How. CUTE." And the wife went on to tell me that they had three grown kids who were also pretty close in age. I felt a little like Mrs. Mallard in Make Way for Ducklings. Proud, with a little extra waddle in my step. I do like when people make sweet comments because I can agree with them and not feel like I have to be a little apologetic, as I sometimes do when people make the, "BOY, you've got your hands FULL" comment. I saw something in the Dallas Morning News last weekend that made me so thankful for my healthy children who do indeed keep my hands full, but in a most beautiful, fulfilling, albeit exhausting way. I'll link to it, but don't watch it unless you need a serious catharsis. It's incredibly life-affirming, but devastatingly sad. It's about a baby named Thomas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I appreciated the reference to Mrs. Mallard. :) It's true--we do get an extra "waddle" when someone compliments our families, don't we? Why don't I remember this and pass on the encouragement more often to families I see out and about? Thanks for the nudge; I want to improve in this area.
I agree with the husband and wish I was close enough to you to say it in person as I drove by you and your ducklings: how cute! :)
I love the video. I simply have not stopped thinking about it for two days. It worked for me, in spite of the great sadness. It was redemptive, somehow, and so...affirming. Thanks for that amazing link.
thanks Davene--I too resolved to be more deliberate to praise other Mr. and Mrs. Mallards when I see them.
Margie--I know. I never post links but I just couldn't get this family out of my head. I wept so deeply the first time I watched it that my forehead actually ached the next day. But embedded in the sadness was this quiet victory and joy as well. Something in the father's face as he gazes at his son--a glimmer of divinity, I think. I also think it is just such exquisite journalism--the photography, the editing..I hope it wins awards.
Patti,
I wanted you to know that your blog has been my blog of choice recently for my middle-of-the-night nursing sessions with Shav. I started at the beginning of your blog and read through all the archives to get totally up to date. What a pleasure it's been! Your writing is so refreshing--so creative--so relatable. In addition, I think you use the most extensive vocabulary of any blogger I know. :) I look forward to continuing to avidly read your new posts and follow along with your sweet family in this way.
~ Davene
Wow--thank you Davene!
Post a Comment