I am NOT crafty. I don't sew or knit or needlepoint. I do not scrapbook. I have, in the past few years, taken to making cards, on which I paint a little watercolor something. But I didn't start this because I really love painting. I started it because I detested card shopping. The cards were too busy or just ugly and, as for the "sentiment" printed therein? Well, let's just say 'unsatisfactory' so as not to use words like blather and tripe and banal, which would be disrespectful to those folks who make their living coming up with these pithy verses. Which reminds me that William Safire died. I will miss his columns On Language. Anyway, I made a couple of cards this week for my friends Alicia and Priscilla. I have trouble coming up with ideas--nothing new under the sun etc, etc..so Alicia's design came from the cover art for
Maybelle the Cable Car, written and illustrated by Virginia Lee Burton, which happened to be on the coffee table (neither of my two older kids could sit all the way through Maybelle, which is the story of a group of San Franciscans' quest to save the cable cars from extinction. It's a touch pretentious):

Then I painted some not very sunflowery-looking sunflowers for Priscilla, and added a quote from an old Alphaville song called "Forever Young":

I also made a thank you note with the sunflowers:

And that about did me in. And I could be happily done until January. Only I have children who love crafts. And who don't go to preschool. Or Mother's Day Out. OR any other place where someone else is responsible for crafts. I have realized that there is no better way to release The Control Freak Within than to do glitter with a four year old and a two year old.

Though I will say that our painting today went much better thanks to these that I bought on Saturday:

Look at the industrious harmony we had for almost an hour this morning!

And a gift for Grandmother Morrow's birthday:

Which, naturally, needs a picture of all three kids because apparently I am a glutton for punishment:



Sing it with me now: "Second verse, same as the first! A little bit louder and a little bit worse!" I'm debating getting everyone smocked back up and back outside for round 2 this afternoon. I feel like there's an aphorism that goes something like, "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."
6 comments:
Wow, a whole hour! Pray tell-- where did you get those fantastic paint cups? And what brand of easel do you have? Got your voice mail today. Thanks for checking in. We are MUCH improved and hope to see you on Wed.
Paint cups--Lakeshore Learning. Located conveniently down from Whole Earth Provision on Post Oak. I got 10 cups for $9.95 and the brushes were, I think, $6.99. Worth EVERY penny.
Easel-Ikea. I think it's $14.99. Again, worth EVERY penny. It has a chalk board on one side (which we use daily) and a dry erase board on the other (which we don't use because no one has invented washable dry erase markers.)
I, too, am not crafty. I can't even paint homemade cards. I'm very impressed that you can. :)
Those paint cups look great. What do you mean, "nothing new under the sun"? Those are new--to me, at least! :)
The picture attempt made me laugh, but only because I'm all too familiar with fruitless attempts to make multiple children all look pleasant at the same time. One thing that sometimes helps me is telling my older children to look at our baby. If they don't have to look at the camera, sometimes they actually have much more natural smiles on their faces. Sometimes.
I am laughing! Oh. My. Gosh. This is funny. The thumbs up, the tears. The repeated attempt for three happys.
I am very, very impressed with your cards. They're lovely, and unique! I am appalled at the prices of cards in the stores, and their bland, banal-ness.
Virginia Lee is one of our favorite authors, but we are smitten with The Little House. I also favor Katie the Snow Plow and - who's the steam engine? - over Maybelle, which seemed too difficult to follow (Elizabeth focused only on whether she was good friends with the other cable cars). Glad to read it was a bit over H's and H's heads, too.
Thanks for the hearty, good morning laugh. I needed it.
i loved meeting you, too! seemed almost providential to me. You are a great writer and I love the attempts for the family photo. I may even steal the picture frame idea. can't wait to meet again!
I LOVE The Little House too! I get emotional when we read it, which the kids think is strange, I'm sure. Hudson loves Katy and the Big Snow, and Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel has gotten lots of reads in our house as well.
Post a Comment