Friday, July 17, 2009

Happily ever after

We've really been enjoying our porch swing. Harper usually gets up from her nap before the other two and she will say, "Let's go swing, just us Mommy," and we will. We listen to the cicadas and birds and sometimes we talk about things. Today we had been out there about 2 minutes and I was warily eyeing a wasp that seemed a little too interested in us and in that instant of distraction, a mosquito stung Harper right in the middle of her forehead (where there was, incidentally, also a curl). I brushed it away but it had already done its work. She got another bite yesterday, also on her forehead. I think this cannot end well. It's usually the second day that they grow to such epic proportions.

The tile guys finished the tile in the bathroom at 8:29 pm last night, a mere 5 days after the promised end date, but we're still waiting on the plumber to come and put the toilet and sink back in. I'm trying not to think about what's been happening in that toilet in the week that it's been sitting outside. I have already had to google things like, "Pictures of roach poop" this week. It looks like chocolate sprinkles, for those of you who don't live in a 55 year old house that may or may not have had groups of students living in it for the past 8 years. I have every single thing in my pantry enclosed in ziploc bags. Just my little way of saying, "LOVE DON'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE YOU FIENDS!!"

Harper and Hudson love the house. Harper has even decided that Hudson is an acceptable playmate. The noise level, however, has risen exponentially. It is LOUD having tricycle races on wood floors. There is a loop through the kitchen and front living area (which is sans furniture at this point) that has already seen at least 500 laps, I'd guess. Harper comes zipping through, "HI MOMMY!" and I say, "Hello Lightning. My, how FAST you are," then comes Hudson, "HI MOMMY!" and I say, "Hello Mater. My how FAST you are." And that's good fun for at least 30 minutes then we go outside and do some of this in the front yard:If you're wondering where to purchase the fancy pool Harper is swimming in, try Target, right under the spatulas, to the left of the cutting boards.

In a bit of sad news, Harper's one and only princess, a tiny little Snow White, was decapitated in an accident earlier this morning. She was apparently attempting to drive a dump truck in her party dress instead of her work dress and the cab just couldn't accommodate all of that frill and the flippy brunette bob too. Which sounds embarrassingly similar to the predicament I found myself in on prom night in 11th grade. I thought I was resplendent in that fluffy pink confection with not one, but two petticoats, and equally enormous hair. I don't actually remember the car I had to stuff myself into, but it was (barely) big enough for me in all of my voluminous splendor.

Helena Jane is seriously acting like she might crawl soon. I leave her on her mat and this is what happens a minute or so later:

9 comments:

Ken said...

Can't remember who you went w/ to that prom. Such fun memories, but hideous pictures of us all!

Glad you like your new home. Our home is on the older side too, built in 58, and we have the occasional unwanted guests as well. I think it's b/c we have trees that have been around since 58, too.

Carrie

Maria Smith said...

Oh Patti, you are such a lovely mummy and ding so well with everything. As a manic cleaner and wiper person I would have probably had a nervous breakdown by now.....
I love the pictures of the kids! Love the curly hair and the cheeky smiles!! Next make sure you get in the photo tooo!(will forgive you if you are not doing a swimming demonstration though....:)))

Mxx

Lisa said...

Love the pool! The tile is finished- does this mean you can come out and play? I hope so. I've missed seeing you! We have VBS this week. Maybe next?

Lisa

Twil said...

You had me at "Love Don't Live Here Anymore." I laughed outloud. I am coming by VERY soon!

Patti said...

Alas--roaches can EAT THROUGH ZIP-LOC BAGS!!!!!!!!

Roaches---- 1

Patti------ 0


I just threw away almost everything in the pantry. Aack. Next step: airtight plastic containers.

Missy said...

Yea for a house!!

I, unfortunately, am well acquainted with what roach poop looks like.

Look at my blog today for another way that I have severely disappointed Dr. Dobson.

Missy said...

Roaches can eat thru ziplocks??

Say it isn't so.

You need an exterminator. I know the chemicals suck, but...I simply cannot abide roaches.

Roaches were NOT in Eden you know. They are a result of the fall.

Margie said...

They eat through ziplocks???

I can't believe I haven't left a comment yet; I read this a while ago, and all I could think was, "Wow! Look at all that hair!"

So that's my comment. But I still can't get over the ziplocks. I never knew that.

Ken said...

I have a great recipe for homemade roach poison that calls for sugar and boric acid. When I get home from vacation, I'll send it to you. You mix it up and but it in your cabinets and behind furniture on small lids like baby food jar lids. It works GREAT and keeps them away for months.

CY