American Idol is STUPID.
Please note, as you quiver with indignation, that I did not accuse anyone who likes it of being stupid. I usually watch a couple of nights of the beginning auditions if there is nothing else on, but this year there was just Too. Much. Stupid. So I didn't watch. Then, as usual, I have skipped the entire season because watching people sing is boring to me AND I simply cannot stand to listen to people sing when they are not on key. And that happens lots and lots when the Idol contestants get their Billy Joel or Barry Manilow or Bette Midler on. (Incidentally, from a very young age I also cringed inwardly during Solos Sung in Church by people who, inevitably, were a little flat, usually off tempo just a smidge, and sometimes holding the liner notes of their Amy Grant cassette in their trembling hand so as not to forget the second verse of "El Shaddai". Painful.) Anyway, even though I abstain during the season, I usually try to watch the final night, mostly because I like to watch people win things. It's just happy and sweet to see someone fulfill a dream, even the vapid dream of Pop Stardom. (I also like to watch the last 5 minutes of that show where they build people the fancy new house. Sometimes I cry a little.) So I got everyone to bed tonight and told the husband that we might want to watch a little Idol. We actually made it through the KISS abomination, mostly because I had to explain KISS to the husband who was too young and/or sheltered to know why in the world Gene Simmons kept sticking his tongue out. And then, hey, there's Steve Martin with his banjo! Except the girl singer was so flat and off tempo that I almost had to change the channel, but I persevered, because I enjoy Mr. Martin and his banjo. But then when the guy singers all came trotting out and launched into "IF you want my body AND you think I'm sexy" I exclaimed, out loud, "No! I just can't. It is JUST. TOO. STUPID." The husband, in solidarity, I can only assume, with husbands all across America, heartily concurred.
On another musical note, Hudson has discovered that while he is sucking his thumb he can use his index finger to tweak his nose and he hums a little and it's like a little nasal harmonica to accompany me as we sing before bed.
Our friend Izzy did a really good job taking care of Hudson at the zoo today. There was an awful lot of hand holding and even an attempt to pick him up which I would have loved to have a picture of except I lurched to intervene to ensure that the both of them didn't end up in a mangled heap right in front of the carousel. Mrs. B suggested that perhaps Izzy was practicing to carry Hudson across the threshold because, it seems, there's been some talk of Marriage.

4 comments:
I watched the finale only as well. Yes, the banjo song was painful. Poor girl. And I have to root for any Kris that spells his name the girl way like my own Mr. Rives.
The great thing about finale shows is that they stretch it out with so much footage of the entire season that you feel like you DID watch the entire season. I watched the season finale of Biggest Loser on Hulu and got to see each fat person become skinny in a matter of minutes. That's the way to go.
I agree! I do not like AI either.....but I must admit that I really, really, really like Dancing w/ the Stars (go figure!) and even though I only watched the finals this season, I still found it entertaining. The show just makes me want to dance! However, I have to watch it when my boys aren't around b/c those costumes are just too risque (sp?), in my opinion. : )
Love you! CY
(This is Margie - since I'm writing from my mother-in-law's computer, it will only record her name. Sorry!)
I have only watched the first American Idol ever. I couldn't even muster the interest to endure a second season. Consequently, I'm Out Of Touch. And don't care, because you're right: it's S-T-U-P-I-D. On the other hand, I'm rooting for Susan Boyle's runaway win in Britain. But even if she doesn't win, she's well on her way to the career her late mother always said she was worthy of. It seems far more appropriate to cheer the likes of her on, somehow.
Liked reading about Hudson's new musical talent. What a nice bonus at bedtime for you. Perhaps he can hum Helena to sleep.
Yep, it's stupid. I only watched the first season of AI. That's because we did not have cable and FOX was the only station that we got. Then when the best singer got kicked off, we refused to watch any more episodes of it.
Post a Comment