Here is Helena, showing off. All of the tummy time is making her really strong. She even flipped herself over on Tuesday, much to her displeasure.
Sunday, March 29, 2009
If all the world were Elmo's World
We've been going to the park as a family quite a bit, much to our delight. Hudson and the husband fly kites and kick a soccer ball, while Harper, Helena and I stroll around the perimeter and stop to play briefly between laps until Helena decides she needs to move again. Last weekend Harper was watching a seven year old boy go across these little wobbly lilypad things with poles through the middle (no idea what the technical name of this playground fun might be) and she walked right over and started chatting. "Be careful now! You don't want to fall!" Seven year old boy cut his eyes at his dad who was sitting a few feet away, as if to say, "Is this little girl talking TO me? What should I do?" Harper, undeterred, continued to chat at him. "Wow, I like baseball! How about you?" He decided he might as well answer. "Um, I like baseball." Harper enthused a little more about exactly why she is such a fan (I missed some of this because Helena started crying but it had something to do with the fact that "now that it's summer Daddy lets me watch baseball with him and stay up late before bed") and then I told her we needed to keep walking, much to the boy's relief. I wondered where she had acquired the baseball ice-breaker and a few days later I found out. It seems that not only is "Sesame Street" teaching my son to count, it is also teaching my daughter her social skills. On "Elmo's World" there was a catchy little tune about how to be a friend and one of the verses instructed that a good friend would ask a new friend if he liked baseball. Harper was sitting on the couch humming along, her puppy was dancing in her lap. For some reason I started crying and had to go to the kitchen so she wouldn't notice. It just made me sad, wanting her to always be this simple and this happy. Wanting her to always think that making friends was as easy as remembering a little song.
Here is Helena, showing off. All of the tummy time is making her really strong. She even flipped herself over on Tuesday, much to her displeasure.
Here is Helena, showing off. All of the tummy time is making her really strong. She even flipped herself over on Tuesday, much to her displeasure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Patti-
I find myself crying more and more at the little things that my kids do or say that just seem to be slipping through my fingers like sand...through an hourglass....so are the...ok, I'll stop there. But I know exactly what you mean about being choked up about something as simple as Sesame Street. I use to cry over the Barney song b/c I knew that one day, all too soon, no one would sing it around my house anymore and I'd miss it. And you know what? Those days have come. And I do miss it. But it's nice to have a 12 year old tell you about the beautiful pop fly catch he made during practice. Or a 10 year old tell you about a friend he made on his first Boy Scout camp out all alone w/o dad around. Or an 8 year old tell you about his perfect grade on his spelling pre-test. Or a 6 year old show you her dance for her recital. I'm finding that those special moments I savored when they were much younger are never forgotten and, if I've done my job right, there are new special moments waiting to be made.
-Carrie
Carrie-you are fantastic. Thanks for the encouragement.
Something like this happened about a year ago or more, when Elizabeth turned an entire playground into a Dora adventure. Some older girls came along, and E assigned them their roles, but when they wouldn't do it and ran away, she kept chasing them and saying, "You're Boots, you're Isa, come back and play," or something like that. Somewhere along the way, one of the girls called her a baby, and even now she'll say, "I didn't like it when those girls called me a baby." That kind of thing didn't happen often, but that particular time really stuck with her. Most of her friends play pretend-world now, too. But I've noticed that girls will do this, but not so much boys. Boys seem to plant themselves and dig, rather than search for buried treasure or find the lost princess.
I'm really amazed at how strong Helena is; it took Sarah a long, long time to get there since she was always on her back. And I'm surprised how big Helena is, already.
Post a Comment