Sunday, February 22, 2009

In which Helena finds her voice, Harper suggests a little natural family planning, and Hudson vacuums

Helena is extremely pleasant for approximately 23 hours a day. Mostly still just sleeping and eating and then, more sleeping. Around 5 days ago she decided that she needed to do a little crying. It is loud. So loud, in fact, that when she tried it out at 3:30 am she actually managed to summon a feral cat who crouched outside our bedroom window and joined Helena in her lament. When they get worked up, it's uncanny how much cat can sound like a baby. In fact I was so groggy I got a little confused and was concerned at one point that Helena was actually out in the shrubbery. A few other details I'll chronicle here in case this ends up becoming her baby book. So far she isn't crazy about the sling, the swing, the pacifier, the Miracle Blanket, or sleeping on her back. She likes being held, sleeping on her tummy, eating her hands, being swaddled NOT in the Miracle Blanket (I am not giving up on it because it cost $30--it looks like a baby straight jacket), and Daddy rubbing her back while she reclines in the Boppy.

Two days ago at breakfast, Harper said this: "If we took one baby away, we would only have two children in our family." She then cut her eyes to the right where her brother sat happily eating his oatmeal, oblivious that in this little equation, he had just been canceled out. I commended her on her math skills, but assured her that none of our babies were going anywhere. Then she segued into this:
Harper: Mommy, WHAT is making you have a baby so much?
me: (panic, panic, is she asking what I think she is asking??! I won't answer her and she will forget the question!)
Harper: (not bothered at all by my silent panic, eyeing my English muffin with Great Suspicion) You need to stop eating so much. So you will STOP having so many babies.

And we moved on.

9 comments:

Jamie said...

You know that scenario where people say, "If you could have a dinner party and invite 10 guests, living past or present, who would you invite?" Harper would be on my list. That girl is fascinating. I love it!

So no miracle blanket? Don't you love how people so new to the world can have so many preferences! That always amazes me. I'm glad to hear all is well and that you are finding time to blog! I would much prefer to hear all of this from you personally but this will work for now ;)

bethany said...

oh Harper! You and Liam will have to become friends at some point.

Jo said...

So, if Harper ate enough kibble, could she actually have her own puppy???

Ken said...

I think that's what my dad thinks regarding why Ken and I have 4 children.

Chrys and Mike said...

I say you need to gain some weight. Eat lots and lots of food. Your babies are the funniest ever!

Chrys

Jamie said...

A thought just occurred to me...since Elmo's Potty DVD was so helpful to Harper, maybe you should see if he covers any other of life's sensitive topics ;) Please tell me the thought of that isn't funny to just me.

seymour said...

I'll eat the kibble if I get a puppy.

Margie said...

Oh my goodness, I'm sitting in the hotel's business center laughing my head off. We're actually on a pre-planned (as in, before Layoff) vacation but will be home soon. As I chuckle as silently as possible to try not to bother Serious Business People also using the computers, I wonder how I can convey this hilarity of your post to Wayne, who is currently upstairs with napping Sarah and a seriously tired Elizabeth. You're writing remarkably well on little sleep, Patti.

Lisa said...

Patti, I am laughing out loud at this. Was just catching up on your blog. I'm missing you! When can you get out?