Actually 'alighted' might be a better term. She is teeny. And it makes a pun. We have actually been home a week. Here are some stats:
Hours of labor: approximately 4 1/2--we arrived at the hospital at 11:15 pm and Helena was born at 3:45 am.
Hours of labor without epidural: approximately 2. I am officially a w.i.m.p.
Last meal before labor began: La Madeline petite Caesar salad and potato soup. I do NOT recommend this particular combination because tangy Caesar dressing will not serve you well when you are trying not to throw up during your contractions. Enough said.
Number of minutes spent pushing: approximately ZERO. It was a little surprising for everyone, including my doctor, who barely had time to perch on the end of the bed to catch her.
Percentile of Helena's teeny head: tenth (same as Harper and Hudson--we are a wee headed family, apparently)
Number of total hours spent in hospital: 36
So far Helena is proving to be that Mythical Creature known as The Easy Baby. The husband and I had heard told of these magical sleeping infants and had yet to experience one ourselves. It's probably a good thing because if Harper had been this easy, our heads would have swelled to epic proportions and we would have thought it had something to do with our Superior Parenting and would have been unbearable to be around. She sleeps around 23 hours a day, is nursing really well, and doesn't seem to be at all bothered by the general hullabaloo going on around her. Harper and Hudson are both adapting well. When he first saw her, Hudson got a big smile, held out his chubby hands palms up and proclaimed, "I HOLD it! I HOLD it?" then he went happily back to lining up his fleet of matchbox cars. About twice a day he will notice her and repeat the initial request. We have yet to comply, but he doesn't really seem to mind. Harper was giddy with excitement the first couple of days. She would wake up and sprint into our room to see what Helena was up to. Some of the enthusiasm has waned, but she has been really willing to help, and said last night, "I like Helena! I REALLY like Helena.. I like her so much I even LOVE her!" Effusive praise indeed.
Today is my first day to be all by myself. My mom has been here, bless her, helping in the big and small ways that she always does. It's going pretty well so far, and I actually have all 3 of them sleeping in unison which means I should definitely follow suit. Let's see if I can attach pictures first. Here she is sunbathing to help resolve a little jaundice:

4 comments:
I'm so glad to hear that Helena paid attention to all the commotion during her incubation and figured out that she needed to lay low for a while. Smart girl. She is beautiful!
ps--got your message, hope to catch up soon. and if you heard your phone ring once this morning and then stop, it was Asher pressing redial. hopefully we didn't disturb you!
Patti,
She is a-dor-able!! OMG, I could have another if I knew he/she would stay that teeny-tiny!! I'm glad she's a Good Baby for you. I found my transition from 2-3 was fairly easy and 3-4 even easier. Wish I lived closer to bring you a meal and take the older 2 to the park or just to my house to play in our controlled chaos.
Love you! Congratulations!
Carrie
Oh, welcome little Firefly! I have been so excited to see pics and read more details about your birth. You are loved!
Chrys
She is adorable!!
As to the comment you left, if your camera won't focus without the flash on, it means there isn't enough light to take the photo. I rarely take pictures inside because of how dark our place is. Try turning on all the lights or getting near a window or just going outside. That should help out.
Post a Comment