Friday, January 16, 2009

Frankenblanket

This is not a political post about politics in Minnesota. Although that IS wacky, right? It seems like if anything should preempt a person from running for public office, it should be a stint on Saturday Night Live. Alas. I wanted to show you a picture but I'm on the husband's computer and can't figure out how to find the one I'm looking for. The picture I wanted to show you is of Harper's Special Blanket. It is green and she began to favor it very particularly when she was around 7 months old, precisely the point at which it begin to unravel. By the minute. I actually tried to replace it soon thereafter and, of course, she would have nothing to do with the identical, ravel-free replacement. Special Green Blanket is now approximately 1/8th its original size and we spend a few minutes just about every evening trimming off yarn straggles so they don't strangle her in her sleep. Because this is how Special Green Blanket spends his nights: wrapped around her neck like a scarf. I've been promising for awhile now to somehow fix SGB so that he would stop this unraveling nonsense, and Harper decided to hold me to it today. So I let her pick the thread color (red, and yes I just used thread instead of yarn--did you think I'd really have yarn lying around?) and got to work. Harper sat on my (almost nonexistent) lap and lovingly caressed SGB while I attempted some semblance of a running whip stitch? I just made that up--I have no idea what stitch I used and it looks really terrible. But Harper seems pleased and perhaps the remaining three inches of SGB will be with us a few more months.

The husband had to leave really early this morning and forgot his phone. Which I thought for sure would prompt me to go into immediate labor and deliver Helena Jane on the bathroom floor with only Harper and Hudson to assist. Nope.

4 comments:

Chrys and Mike said...

Must. Post. Pictures. I'm sure that what I'm envisioning isn't nearly as wonderful as what she's got draped around her neck as she slumbers tonight.

Tell her to hang onto some of that scarlet thread for her Rahab ornament. It's never to early to plan for Jesse Tree. :)

Anxiously awaiting baby news. You will update us, right??

Chrys

Ken said...

P-
Korban has a blankie that he has attached himself to. It began when he was about 12 months old. He is now 12 years old....and still sleeps with it. Isn't that sweet? I love that my pre-teen isn't really pre-teen in some areas. His special blankie has not raveled, but has ripped in 2 places. We've repaired it 2 times. So far, so good on the 2nd repairment. He keeps it under his pillow when his bed is made so his friends won't see it and he doesn't use it all the time. But, if he is tired or very upset, he will sleep with it. We recently put our only dog down. She had been with us for 14 years. Older than Korban and it's the only pet my kids have known. He slept with his blanket every night for 3 weeks after we had her put to sleep. Now he sleeps with his blankie...wrapped around our new puppy! : )
-Carrie

Melissa's Musings for Mom said...

Well I had left a rather lengthy commentary on Maegan and her two stuffed dogs only to have it somehow not go through! At any rate, I still hold on to the sight of her two stuffed dogs next to her in bed for as many nights as I can. I think she keeps them there partly for her and partly for me. :-)

Patti said...

Chrys--the plan is to post The Big News right here. Probably from the hospital, but maybe from home, since my goal is to beat the 23 hours I stayed when I had Hudson. I hear stories of people who luxuriate in long maternity hospital stays, but that just hasn't been my experience thus far. Though I am going to be at a different hospital this time and maybe they'll bring me mimosas and give me foot massages and I'll decide to stay a couple of days.

Carrie--I'm looking at the picture of Korban on your Christmas card and love the thought of that grown up looking boy still needing his blanket. I'm sorry about your dog. I saw something about the new puppy on Facebook. Miss Kringle, is it?

Melissa--welcome! I have vague memories of playing with dolls a little longer than everyone else did and being partly motivated by not wanting to make my mom sad that I was growing up.