Thursday, January 22, 2009

8 days a week

Helena Jane is right at this moment doing the splits in my uterus. Looks weird, feels extremely uncomfortable. So, eight days until D-Day. I've been having some contractions in the evenings but they are mild and without pattern. The wave of utter exhaustion that hits at around 5:15 pm is fairly incapacitating, which is unfortunate timing all around, considering that is really the part of our day when I am least expendable.

Harper has for a while now been uncomfortable with the idea of extinction. Specifically in reference to dinosaurs. So after we saw the dinosaur bones at the museum last week she began to work out a little revisionist history. It goes something like this:

Joshua the dinosaur is NOT extinct. Joshua the dinosaur lives in Colorado.
In the woods of Colorado. He doesn't bite. In fact, he's rather friendly.
He doesn't eat robins and stuff. He doesn't eat THOSE kinds of birds.
He eats crows. He's a farm animal.

At that point in the story I had to stop transcribing because the pasta was boiling over, but the important conclusion was that Joshua the Dinosaur is NOT just bones. He has skin and muscles and he is decidedly still alive right this minute. In the woods of Colorado. Eating up those crows.

3 comments:

Ken said...

Oh, Patti. I feel for you! I'm so glad we're finished having babies. My body just couldn't take anymore and reading this entry just makes my pelvis ache! I know you're ready for the next phase of parenting Helena Jane and I'm sure you and the hubby are ready to meet her. Are you doing this one at home?

Hope all is well, considering. I'm praying...for strength, health, peace and ease of transition for Harper and Hudson.
Love, CY

Margie said...

I've been wondering whether Helena Jane had shown her face yet. These waiting days, on the cusp of great change, are some of the most difficult. I'm impressed Harper already understands, sort of, the concept of extinction. We've not gone there, yet; the dinosaurs just don't happen to be in the zoo, like the other animals. I'll have to work into a story that one Joshua lives in CO and eats crows. Like a farm animal.

Patti said...

Carrie--I thought for sure Helena would come when I read your sweet letter to her a couple of posts back. She said to tell you that while it was extremely persuasive, she likes womb living exceedingly well and will stay as long as possible. No home birthing here--going totally conventional with an OB, hospital, and, unless things go really fast before my resolve fails, an epidural.

Margie--Harper also refuses to talk about or ask about Mac, the baby elephant who died at the zoo a few months ago. I think Joshua the Dinosaur may have something to do with that. I'm hoping she'll start asking questions when she is ready. It's fragile terrain.