We let Harper stay up a little past her bedtime to watch gymnastics a couple of nights ago. She has been talking about it for weeks so I found her response a little underwhelming actually. She watched the first floor exercise intently and, about halfway through it said, "They don't do gymnastics like I do gymnastics." I think what she meant is that most of "her" gymnastics is fairly limited to the ground, while theirs is mostly airborne. She went on, with a nonchalant air: "I used to do it like that, a long time ago." The husband and I barely contained our glee. "When did you do it like that, Harper?" he queried. She took a nice long pause, clearly searching the time-space continuum for that exact moment when she had actually been able to do a full twisting double back somersault into a punch front. "I did it like that," she finally explained patiently, "before Hudson was very tiny." Ohhh, way back then. She lost interest after about 15 minutes, which meant that I had to miss an entire rotation while I read her bedtime stories. I am TOTALLY LOVING the Olympics. Staying up way too late, weeping during national anthems (not just ours either--though I found Japan's rather uninspiring), pumping my fist all by myself (I mean SERIOUSLY did anyone see the ending of the 400 m freestyle relay?? Come ON. Lezak was SUPER human). I think I have mentioned before the rather ambivalent feelings I have toward Sport in general, but I am a sucker for this stuff.
The husband and I got to have a date Friday night so we missed the opening ceremony. I didn't care very much. We went to see "The Dark Knight." It was intense. It should really be titled "The REALLY, REALLY Dark Knight." I closed my eyes quite a bit because even the stylized violence was too much for me. But I thought it was a really well done movie. All of the press about Heath Ledger's performance is merited--he really is so bizarre and fascinating to watch.
So I saw a bumper sticker on Friday that made me think about the presidential election. It read:
CATS NOT KIDS
Now, here's the thing. Why is this lady not just okay with liking her cats? Why does she need to proclaim (and it really is a proclamation when you put it on your car) that not only does she choose to have cats, but she chooses to disparage having kids. I mean if you love something or someone, by all means extol its virtues, but why does something else have to be put down in the process? SO. This illustrates why I loathe negative campaigns. Why can't we just want to vote FOR someone because they have the positive attributes (or at least some of them) that we're looking for, instead of voting AGAINST someone who frightens us? Three long months until election day and I'm tired already.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Ahhhh, yes....the Olympics. I'm a sucker for them, too. Opening and closing ceremonies and EVERYTHING in between. Surprisingly, Carrigan could care less about the gymnastics and, I have to admit, I'm kind of relieved. I envisioned her watching them and then asking to take. That would mean her having to quit dancing in order to take and, right now, I'm so into her dancing. You know me....I've waited for a daughter to take dancing and all the costumes to make that go along w/ a daughter taking dancing for a long, long time. : )
Maybe Harper was referring back to her days of gestational growth regarding her ability to flip and twist around.
Are you going to the reunion in Oct.?
Carrie
This cracks me up b/c Elizabeth said something of the same, then proceeded to do a series of jumps, rolls, and somersaults since it was, I believe, Shawn Johnson's floor routine she saw.
When I was solidly single with only a cat, it's quite possible that I MIGHT have chosen a bumper sticker like that one, but more from a need to proclaim that I found my childless life okay. Now, however, I would want to yell out of my car window, "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE MISSING."
Carrie--when is the reunion again? The last weekend in October? I think we'll probably go.
Margie--she looked like a nice lady and I did think that maybe she just really liked her cats and wanted me and the other hundreds of cars she passes every day to know that she was happy with her life as it is. I guess I just don't GET car stickers in general. I also don't get political signs in front yards--it sort of negates the whole idea of the secret ballot.
Probably because, like me, she was tired of people with children looking down on her because she chose not to have any herself. I, for one, am tired of being made to feel like less of a woman because I chose not to devote my life to being a mother. My cat is plenty for me.
Post a Comment